Bookshelf - May 2019

Hey book buddies! Can you remember the first book you ever read? I'm pretty sure it was The Adventures of Tom Sawyer for me. I can still remember how that book felt in my hands - it had a blue fabric cover and that musty old book smell which I love. Dad received it as a Sunday School prize many years before and I'm positive he never read it - he's not a reader at all. ;)
A lot of the books I read as a young girl were from my parents and grandparents bookshelves, and they opened whole new worlds full of adventure and excitement. There's still a thrill when I have a new book in my hands, and I get buckled in ready to be taken on the ride of my life.
Let me share with you what I read during May.


Bonnie and Stan - Anna Stuart

This was a sweet story about never ending love. After 54 years of marriage Stan is diagnosed with terminal cancer and he doesn't want to leave Bonnie alone when he dies. He starts dating (or interviewing) potential male friends to help his wife with her grief and to encourage her to continue living life without him. During the process, Stan learns way more about himself and his family, and how important it is to make the most of every moment you have left.
I was entertained by this story but it wasn't a page turner for me. The characters were relatable and fun, and it does feel like your part of their big family. There's also lots about the music industry in the flash backs and some great references to those big sixties bands. A sweet story and a very easy read!



The Party - Robyn Harding

Its rare for me to read a book in one sitting but I did with this one! It was amazing! This is the second of Robyn's books that I've read and she has sky rocketed to one of my all time favorite authors. She weaves a clever and engaging story, exploring the aftermath of a disastrous sweet sixteenth birthday party and the disintegration of a family who seem to have it all.
From the very first page Robyn draws you into this tumultuous world of parenting, marriage, friendships and tragedy and its a very hard book to put down. If you enjoy a haunting tale with secrets, lies and a surprising twist then you will love Robyn's books. I definitely recommend reading this one!


The Mister - E L James

After the hype of her Fifty Shades of Grey series, I grabbed a copy of this book because I thought everyone would be talking about it - I don't like being left out of the loop! ;) I read one and a half books in the FSOG series before abandoning them, and sadly this new book failed to impress me as well.
The characters were bland, the story was long winded (about 300 pages too long IMO) and I almost marked it as a DNF a few times but I kept plowing through hoping it would improve. She had some great plot ideas which could have evolved into a brilliant story but she didn't expand on them and it all missed the mark unfortunately.
If people are talking about this book, its not to rave about how awesome it is :( Very disappointing actually!


What Alice Forgot - Liane Moriarty

I really enjoyed this book! Alice falls in her gym class and after suffering a head injury she forgets the last ten years of her life. Would you be happy with the person you are now and the life you have created if you looked at it from ten years in the past? Its a question to ponder.
I think Liane explored this whole situation perfectly. She gives us two relatable sides to Alice - the carefree before kids Alice and the superficial, super mum of three Alice.  As Alice's two worlds collide, she ponders whether forgetting is a blessing or a curse and whether its possible for a do over! Its a great book if you like to analyse the mysterious twists and turns our lives take, and how they shape us into the person we are today.


The Girl In The Letter - Emily Gunnis

And finally my favorite book of the month - I was captivated by this book! Its a heart wrenching story of the horrific treatment of children and young unwed mothers during the 1950's at a Mother and Baby facility in England. It grabs you from the very first page and it's a book that you will remember forever.
Ivy's story will give you all the feels and her letters will absolutely break your heart. There are lots of twists and turns as the characters and their stories develop, but it all sheds light on a brutal piece of history and how it affected the minds and hearts of generations. An engrossing read!

So that's what I read during May. I'm participating in the Goodreads Reading Challenge this year, and these books bring my year to date total to 25/50 books - I've hit the halfway mark YAY!
Did you read any amazing books last month? Let me know your favorites in the comments.
I hope you find some time to relax and read this weekend.
Happy reading book buddies :)

No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊