Rose Syrup

Nothing is wasted in our garden, and this summer I've been finding creative ways to use our roses. After a lot of research and recipe testing, I've found a quick and easy way to make the most delicious Rose Syrup. 


In all the years we've been growing flowers and vegetables, this year would have to be the toughest we've experienced. The weather has stunted and ruined crops, making what we can harvest simply precious. Everything we grow serves a purpose and we waste nothing, so seeing ruining crops is disheartening!

This year I started looking for ways to use our roses and through trial and error, I have a quick and easy Rose Syrup recipe that's refreshing on those (rare this year) hot days of summer.


Rose Syrup is essentially rose petals that have been simmered in water to extract the oil and blended with large amounts of sugar to make syrup. There are several ways to do this, but I couldn't taste any difference in flavour with some of the more labor-intensive recipes.

Before you make Rose Syrup or jam you must know where your rose's or rose petals come from. We're organic gardeners who refrain from using pesticides etc. and we make our own fertilizers from our worm farm castings. Don't use commercial roses - who knows what's been used on them!


It's important to go through all the rose petals individually looking for any bugs - they're sneaky and will hide anywhere. If you do miss a stray one don't fear, it shouldn't escape the last muslin strain prior to bottling.

Don't worry about the colour of the roses you select because simmering the petals yields a clear syrup, but I have a cheat for making your Rose syrup that lovely rose colour - add a few frozen blueberries in the final stages of the simmer!


The blueberries create a vibrant rose colour, but strain the syrup as soon as the colour changes so their flavour doesn't overpower the rose flavour.

Every recipe I tried had different rose petal/water/sugar ratios, so I've chosen what works best for me and what gives the most intense flavour. 

Because the high sugar content acts as a preservative, you can store Rose Syrup in a cool, dark place for up to a year (just in time for next year's harvest), but once you open the bottle it must be stored in the fridge.


So, what can you use Rose Syrup for? 

Pour some over ice and use it as a cordial. Add some mineral or soda water, or lemonade and you have a refreshing drink to quench your thirst after a busy day in the garden.

It also makes a delicious syrup for ice cream, pancakes, waffles, milkshakes and over rice puddings. You can also add it to icing for cakes and cookies and it can be added to cocktails.


Now, I can fill my home with vases of gorgeous, scented roses, and fill my pantry with delicious Rose Syrup to enjoy throughout the year - it's a harvest that just keeps giving!

If you would like to try my Rose Syrup recipe, simply click the link for the recipe card or right click on the photo below and save it to your computer.



We've enjoyed sipping on a Rose Syrup cordial every afternoon - it's refreshing and sweet and a great pick me up after a full day! I hope you find this recipe delightful as well :)

 Enjoy!

PIN FOR LATER:


Happy creating :)





No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊