Bookshelf- January 2019

Morning lovelies! One of my goals for 2019 is to keep better records of the books I read during the year. I reactivated my Goodreads account and set a reading challenge, but I thought it might be fun to record them here as well, and share my thoughts with you.
In no particular order, here's what I read during January:


Nine Perfect Strangers- Liane Moriarty

I'm a huge fan of Liane's and this book is brilliant! It was very entertaining, and I definitely fell in love with Frances. I kept finding excuses to read this one - you know a book is good when you find yourself reading while stirring the risotto or when "just a few pages" turns into a 3am bedtime ;)
I love when books intertwine the lives of the characters, and Liane does this so well in all of her books. I wonder if they will make this into a film or mini series? I hope so!


The Tattooist of Auschwitz- Heather Morris

This book tugged all the heart strings! Its hard to imagine what people endured during the Holocaust but Heather so eloquently recounts the story of Lale Slovakia and Gita, the girl who stole his heart at first glance. In times of oppression and hate, never under estimate the true power of love.
It was a rollercoaster of emotions - I cried, I smiled, I felt fearful, I felt disgusted and I felt elation.
There are many, many stories to be told from that time - I feel honoured to have read theirs.


Becoming - Michelle Obama

I don't usually read auto biographies or biographies but I was gifted this book for Christmas, and I actually enjoyed learning more about Michelle. She has a beautiful writing style and I did learn a lot about American politics, but I preferred reading the parts about her as a person, a wife and a mother.
She doesn't hold back and shares her story openly and honestly. I did enjoy this book but I think I'll stick to fiction.


Half Moon Lake - Kirsten Alexander

Now this book was a surprise gem. I'd seen numerous advertisements for it on Facebook and decided to grab a copy (yes Facebook, your constant ads DO work!). It was an easy read and the plot kept twisting and turning, keeping me engrossed and curious. It's based on a true story and it would be a great book to discuss at book clubs. I'm so glad I read this one, thanks again Facebook!



Ladies In Black - Madeleine St John


I'm not sure about you but if a book becomes a movie I must read the book first. I was excited to read this one but it wasn't as good as I'd expected. It was a nice story but not a lot to the plot. Unfortunately it deterred me from watching the movie, maybe I'll wait until its on Netflix or Stan. Have you seen the movie? Is it good? Anyway, its a sweet account of life in Sydney, Australia during the 1950's but not a real pager turner for me :(

So that's what I read during January. I'm always looking for new books to read so leave me a comment with your recommendations, or search for me on Good Reads and add me as a friend so I can see what you're reading too :)
I hope you find some quiet time today with a good book!

Happy reading :)

2 comments

  1. Thanks for the great book reviews! In January I read The City and The City by China Mieville, The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, and Washington Black by Esi Edugyan. Loved all three! Btw I love your quilt photo with the stones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks for the recommendations, I'll check those out :) I love finding new books to read :)

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊