Bookshelf- February 2019

Happy Saturday fellow bookworms! Its time to share the books I read during February. Thanks to everyone who reached out last month with some recommendations, and for seeking me out on Goodreads - I love finding new books and seeing what you're reading too :)
(To find me on Goodreads just search for Rose Johnston)
It's a bit of a mixed bunch but here's what I read during February:


At The Wolfs Table - Rosella Postorino

I grabbed this book on a whim - the plot sounded interesting and I'd never read anything about food tasters for Hitler. The story looks at the relationships of ten women forced into a unimaginable situation trying to survive. It highlights how events, suffering, feelings and actions remain lifelong secrets with survivors, even from those they loved - what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas kinda mentality because the truth is far too painful.
It was inspired by a true story and sadly the lady passed away before the author could interview her. She keep her story secret until she was 96, and then she told the world that her job during the war was Hitler's food taster.
It was a good story, probably not my favorite book this month but I did enjoy learning more about the war through the lives of all the characters.



The Hate U Give- Angie Thomas

I enjoy reading a good YA novel every now and then, and I wanted to read this book before the movie comes out on DVD. This is Angie's debut bestseller and its inspired by the "Black Lives Matter" movement. It's raw, honest, enlightening and its a very powerful book.
Thomas emphasises the clear divides between races and highlights the importance of speaking out, and the difficulties of fighting for justice. I could not put this book down. I loved it!
I'm also looking forward to the movie but I'm disappointed that one of the characters will not be making an appearance. I felt Devante's character added depth to the story and he was important to the book... a little bit sad!
I also picked up a copy of her second book " On The Come Up" which I'm eager to read as well.



Bridge of Clay - Markus Zusak

I'm a huge fan of Zusak's and I love how messy and complicated his stories can be. If you've read his earlier work (The Wolfe Brothers series) then you will understand what I mean. I've read that fans of The Book Thief (which was an amazing book btw) were a little disappointed with this one but I love his raw writing style. You will have many questions along the way but trust me, all will be answered. :)
Its a story of one boy, told by his brother, and it explores family, home, forgiveness, love and grief. It's set in Australia and I think the Dunbar family will own a piece of my heart forever.  Markus weaves a wonderful story and I love how he personifies everything from the city to the abandoned race track. He's a very clever storyteller indeed!



Saving You - Charlotte Nash

I saved my favorite book this month till the end. OMG what an incredible read - I wish I could give this more than 5 stars on Goodreads :) If you read only one book this year, read this one!
Who knew that a single mother and three escaped pensioners (from a retirement home) trekking across America together would make such a heartwarming and entertaining read? Obviously Charlotte Nash did! ;)
There's laughter, tears, memories, health problems, generation divides, legal battles, soul searching and saying goodbye...and then there's AJ! Oh AJ! I wont spoil it but you're going to love him!
Best read of 2019 so far! :)



And that's what I read during February. Leave me a comment and tell me what you read as well. I hope you find some time to read this weekend - there's nothing better than snuggling up with a good book and getting lost in another world, even if its only for a few minutes. :)
Happy reading :)

No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊