Star Flower Mini Quilt Pattern + Your Free September 2018 Calendar

Spring can not come quick enough for me. I have garden beds in desperate need of weeding, and empty pots and window boxes waiting to be planted with gorgeous spring colour. Its been far too cold to enjoy any time outdoors so I have to be content with quilting my own flower garden.
This months new mini quilt pattern is bright, cheery and feels just like spring. Please welcome the gorgeous Star Flower to my pattern family:


I'm so in love with this mini quilt. I love the colours, the shape, the simplicity of the design and I especially love how it brightens my sewing room wall. Its a fun mini quilt to sew and its all constructed using foundation paper piecing.
I used four fabrics from Nadra Ridgeway's stunning fabric collection Arbor Blossom and I teamed them with a tone on tone white fabric; its a little hard to see in the photos but there is a floral design printed on the white fabric. So pretty!


The Star Of David is definitely the focal point of this design and we all know its history but in my research I discovered what it symbolises - "God rules over the universe and protects us from all six directions: north, south, east, west, up and down with the middle- the hexagram- providing the spiritual dimension." ( from The Jewish Gift Place website)
This resonated with me and its easy to see why this block is so widely used in quilting.


I'm not one to fussy cut when I paper piece but that hexagonal star centre was begging for something pretty. How could I not focus on that gorgeous little posy of flowers?
So let's talk a little bit about the shape of this mini quilt. This is an isosceles triangle with two equal long sides (approx. 16") and a shorter side along the bottom (approx. 14"). The mini has a distinct top and bottom but I guess you could hang it upside down like a pendant if you wanted, its up to you.
I love how unique this mini is, and it really screams "look at me" among all the other quilts on my wall.


And don't be afraid of binding this shape of quilt, the principals are just the same as binding a square quilt. You can read a great tutorial HERE about binding angles. Just remember to take your time and the bindings will go on as easily as if you're mitring your 90 degree corners :)
I quilted my Star Flower mini with some simple serpentine quilting and I love the soft and pretty finish it gives my quilt. You could also do some straight line quilting and follow the grid of the design.


The Star Flower PDF pattern includes full sized templates and step by step instructions and diagrams to help you sew your mini quilt quickly and easily. I've also included a colouring sheet to help you plan your fabric/colours prior to sewing.
If you would like to sew your own version of my Star Flower mini quilt, from today until the end of September 2018, PDF patterns are available at the introductory price of $4.95 (AU) in my Big Cartel shop HERE.
If you prefer an instant download, PDF patterns are also available in my Etsy shop HERE.
And I've also got your free September 2018 calendar featuring the gorgeous Star Flower:


To download and print your free calendar just visit HERE.
I hope you love Star Flower as much as I do. I love walking into my sewing room and seeing it on the wall. It brightens my work space on the gloomiest of days and gives me hope that spring is really coming (soon).
Don't forget to email me a picture or tag me when you finish your Star Flower quilt, I'd love to see your interpretation of this pretty pattern. Have fun with it!


Happy quilting :)

2 comments

  1. Oh, so pretty! I didn't know that about the Star of David, and am so pleased to learn it. Thank you for educating me. The blue fussy cut center goes perfectly with that idea. Thank you for a pretty calendar and a great pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. I didnt know the symbolism either. It really touched me and i could see why this block is used in quilting so much. Enjoy ☺

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊