Matilda- Fabric Auditions

Hey guys! Happy Tuesday! I'm motivated for a big week in the sewing room but first I wanted to share a request I had from one of my lovely customers.
Sometimes its hard to imagine what a pattern will look like in different fabrics, so when Gail emailed me for some advice I was more than happy to help. She'd just purchased my new Matilda quilt pattern and was wondering how it would look in the stunning Porcelain fabrics from 3 Sisters.



Can we just have a quiet moment to stop and drool at these gorgeous fabrics?
This is another beautiful range from these talented ladies and they're renowned for their soft and elegant colour palettes. I have these fabrics on my wish list and after auditioning them with my Matilda pattern I want them even more.
To give Gail a basic idea of how it would look I chose eight fabrics from the range:

I like this combination - its soft and pretty with lots of contrast, and its a great mix of small and larger prints. So here's how Matilda looks in Porcelain fabrics:



How pretty it that? Such a stunning palette and a gorgeous quilt with that vintage old world feel. I'd add a few more fabrics to this combination but it gave Gail a clearer idea of the overall look, and she was thrilled. She now has a place to start and she can play around with her favorite combinations.
So that got me thinking and playing with other fabric options.
Here's Matilda in Little Snippets from Bonnie and Camille:


Its a much bolder, brighter palette but still very pretty. I'd definitely make the Ornate blocks scrappier but I love this one!
Next I tried Matilda in Summer Blush from Sedef Imer:


I actually love this one too. The fresh summery feel makes me think of strawberries and lazy days lying on the grass with a good book ;)
And finally I tried Matilda in Pepper and Flax from Corey Yoder:


This is another bold combination but its gorgeous - it looks and feels like a floor of mosaic tiles.
I could have played all day with different fabrics and colour combinations, and its hard to pick my favorite.
I do hope this gives you a little more inspiration for your Matilda quilts. These versions are all very different to the original Australian fabrics I used in mine, and each fabric range adds something unique to the design and gives it a fresh new look.


If you'd like to grab a copy of my Matilda pattern, PDF patterns are available in my Big Cartel shop HERE and as an instant download in my Etsy shop HERE.
Have fun playing with different fabric/colour combinations, and if you need any help with any of my patterns I'm just an email away, so don't be shy :)
And thanks again to Gail. I can't wait to see your Matilda quilt in those gorgeous Porcelain fabrics. It was a fun little experiment and you helped me justify buying some of this range - I want a Matilda quilt in Porcelain fabrics too. :)


Happy quilting :)

4 comments

  1. Gosh I love the original quilt, but also love all of your different colour and print variations too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loooove the original too Anorina, but I think I need to sew one of each of those ;) They are all so pretty :)

      Delete
  2. Matilda is a real beauty and the fabrics are very becoming on her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does look lovely in anything Teresa. I envy her ;)

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊