{Classic Quilt Blocks} Churn Dash - An Introduction

Hey lovelies! I'm introducing a new monthly feature to my blog and I really hope you find these posts beneficial to your quilting journey.
I love designing and sewing intricate patterns but my heart belongs to the good old Classic Quilt Blocks. These blocks have a deep history and for centuries they have been sewn, modified and adapted to create stunning traditional and modern quilts. Despite the years they remain classic blocks which are still relevant in todays modern quilting world.
My aim for this monthly feature is to give you lots of facts, links, variations, tutorials and patterns for all of my favorite blocks.  Each month I'll be sharing weekly blog posts loaded with information and inspiration - basically, I want to bombard you with reasons to love these Classic Quilt Blocks as much as I do.
For the month of July I've chosen the classic Churn Dash, and I'll begin with an introduction to this stunning block:

History:

The Churn Dash block originated in the 1800's and it represents the humble butter churn, looking down from above. The outer pieces of the block resemble the churn and the centre square resembles the stick (or the dash).  These classic blocks are indicative of early pioneer life and some of their utilitarian home items.  
You may know this block by an array of names - Monkey Wrench, Shoo Fly, Wrench, Hole In The Barn Door or Picture Frame just to name a few. Block names vary because women shared their patterns but they didn't always name them. Blocks took on names relating to the individual lives on the different homesteads.
The Churn Dash was often one of the first blocks young girls were taught to sew back in the 1800's because it covered all the basic shapes - triangles, rectangles and squares. Girls could help their mothers sew quilts for the family and move on to more complicated blocks as their skills progressed.
Generations of quilters have sewn the Churn Dash block, and its one of the first blocks I taught myself to piece. It holds a special place in my heart and its one of the reasons I fell in love with quilting. Its humbling to think I'm sewing a block that was crafted so many years ago by women expressing their creativity as they brought warmth and joy to their family. 



Block Design:

The Churn Dash block is part of the simple nine patch family. The block is constructed in a 3 x 3 grid and is best sewn in sizes of the multiple three (3", 6", 9", 12" block etc) - you can sew it any size you want but using a multiple of three results in finished units to the perfect inch, no pesky extra 1/8" etc.
The block consists of four HST squares, four rail fence squares and one plain square.

A Churn Dash block is drafted using a 3 x 3 grid:

To determine the size of each square, you simply divide the size of the block by three and add a 1/4" seam allowance all round. For example - for a 9" finished block each square would measure 3" finished (3 1/2" unfinished).

Next week I'm sharing a step by step tutorial for this Churn Dash block, and I'm including a chart of cutting requirements for six sizes for you to keep as a reference. The tutorial will include quick and easy techniques that are beginner friendly, to make piecing your blocks quick and fun!

The Churn Dash can also be drafted using a 5 x 5 grid:


This creates elongated rail fence units and a large centre square which can be adapted to include pieced blocks, stitcheries or to showcase a fussy cut piece of fabric.
In this version the shape of the churn is narrower and it looks more streamlined than its squat, chunky 3 x 3 cousin, making it the perfect framing block.


Colour Values:

You can change the look and feel of any block by playing around with colour values. In the photo above I've used three different combinations and its hard to chose a favorite - I love all three! A simple block like the Churn Dash allows us to play with colour and change the impact the block has in our quilts.
If you look at some of the antique Churn Dash quilts you will notice that they were tradtionally constructed using one coloured fabric on a solid background, but its fun to play with colour and this block gives you the freedom to do so.


Don't be scared to play with different colour combinations and remember that a light patch doesn't necessarily fade into the background - its tone can make it pop against the darker patches and draw your eye straight to it when looking at the block as a whole.


Antique Inspiration:

How gorgeous are these antique quilts? This collage gives you a little inspiration for using the Churn Dash block - some quilts have the blocks set on point with plain alternate blocks, and some are set with sashings in between the blocks. They all give me that warm, fuzzy feeling! The simplicity of this block creates a quilt that feels humble and homey, and looks snuggly and warm.
You'll always find a version of a Churn Dash block in a sampler quilt as they're one of the first blocks we learn to sew. They're the perfect way to introduce rectangles and HST's to a beginner and they look pretty darn cute. They're also popular in Signature or Friendship Quilts because the centre square gives the maker space for stitching their name or a personal message.

So that's my Introduction to the Churn Dash block. Here's what you can expect to see in this series over the coming weeks:

  • Week 2 - the cutting instructions for six block sizes and a step by step tutorial for piecing the Churn Dash block.
  • Week 3- A few of my fellow Aussie designers will be sharing projects they have made using this block and also their reasons for choosing the Churn Dash for their designs.
  • Week 4 - lots of block variations from the ultra modern to a slight twist on the traditional block to inspire you to play, add and modify different elements. Plus a free block pattern!

Hopefully lots of information and inspiration to make you love these Classic Quilt Blocks as much as I do. 


Happy quilting :)

12 comments

  1. Rose, that was GREAT! thank you
    shoshana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im glad you enjoyed it Shoshana ☺ Theres lots more to come to make you love these blocks like I do ☺

      Delete
  2. Antoinette VitranoJuly 5, 2019 at 8:41 PM

    What a great idea! I love the classic blocks. Thanks so much for sharing all of this information!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Antoinette ☺ Its been a fun project to put together. No matter what i design I'll always love the classic blocks ☺

      Delete
  3. I am looking forward to seeing all of these. I have just found your lovely blog today and am now a happy Bloglovin' follower. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Kay, so nice to have you. Im so glad you enjoyed the post, its been a fun series to put together. ☺

      Delete
  4. This is the first block I taught myself, too, and it's a favorite! Really looking forward to this whole series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine. I sew mine a little different to that very first one i tried but it was the reason I started this quilting journey. Enjoy the rest of the series ☺

      Delete
  5. I'm new to your blog and I already love the variety. The books, the bread, the quilts, the history lesson. :) Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and welcome ☺ Im so glad you like my blog, its my fun, happy place. I hope you enjoy visiting, we're happy to have you 😚

      Delete
  6. My favourite of all blocks and I loved that you shared the history, Rose. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny, its nice to know the story behind these blocks :) xx

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊