Poppy Mini Quilt PDF Pattern

Mini quilts may be small in size but they're super fun to sew! They're a fast finish with less commitment and every month I add a new design to my pattern family to tempt you!


It's a new month and time for a new mini quilt design, so today let's welcome the stunning Poppy to my pattern family.

Poppy is a sweet, feminine and petite mini quilt but she turns heads and demands attention. She has spunk, charisma and her magnetic presence will bewitch any mini quilt lover.

I had so much fun drafting and producing this mini quilt pattern and when I was choosing fabrics I really wanted to sew with solids, so I did, and I think they were the perfect choice for Poppy.



Poppy is a name that exudes a sense of vibrancy and uniqueness. It's playful and fun and full of mischief and adventure.

Have you ever read the animal fantasy novel Poppy by Edward Irving Wortis (aka Avi)? It's the third book of the Dimwood Forest series and Poppy is a sweet deer mouse who finds courage. It's a cute story about challenging unjust authority and relying on your own self-belief.

It's a sweet book series and one my kids enjoyed - I'm sure my grandkids will as well.


As I mentioned, I really felt like playing with solids when I was choosing fabrics for Poppy and this calm and inviting palette brought my vision to life.

Poppy would look stunning in any fabric combination and half the fun is choosing which fabrics bring you the most joy! 

Traditionally, Poppy flowers symbolise remembrance, so consider some red florals to make the petals pop. Or create a cosy and inviting feel with some scrappy low volume fabrics as the background.


Poppy finishes at a petite 12" square making her versatile and a little more challenging. She is constructed using the foundation paper piecing method and she's what I would call a skill builder - the templates are a little smaller and there's a bit of joining to do!

Knowledge of foundation paper piecing is essential and if you need a little help, you can follow any of my tutorials here:



I'm only an email away if you need some extra help with foundation paper piecing, so contact me if you have any questions or concerns.


The foundation templates for Poppy are small but quick to paper piece, and there are several templates to join together due to the angles of the design.

Take your time, pay close attention to the notches on the templates - even if they seem small and insignificant, cut them - and read my Paper Piecing Tips and Tricks blogpost to help you join the sections together accurately and easily.

Otherwise, there's nothing particularly tricky about the Poppy Mini Quilt. It goes together beautifully, and I've included coloured diagrams to help your construct your quilt with confidence.


The Poppy Mini Quilt PDF Pattern includes step by step assembly instructions and full-sized templates so you can print and sew without any fuss.

There's also a colouring sheet to help you plan your fabrics/colours prior to piecing your mini quilt, and optional instructions for adding a hanging sleeve or corner hangers to display your quilt on your mini wall.

I've also included any tips I feel are useful for constructing this mini, and I've been generous when calculating fabric requirements so you can sew with peace of mind.  


Poppy was an absolute delight to produce, and she's a welcome addition to my pattern family.

If you would like to purchase a copy of the Poppy Mini Quilt PDF Pattern, PDF patterns are now available in my Etsy shop and until the end of March 2024 they will be at the introductory price of $4.95 (AU + taxes where applicable).

Simply click to link to purchase your copy today:




I hope you enjoy sewing your version of the stunning Poppy. She brings me so much joy and such a fun mini quilt to sew!

Enjoy!


PIN FOR LATER:


Happy quilting :)




No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊