Chatelaine- Free BOW Sampler Quilt Block One

Sampler quilts have been popular since the mid 1800's and there are so many gorgeous patterns to chose from/admire and sew. They are an excellent way to use up your scraps or small cuts of fabric and as you piece together each block you improve or learn new sewing skills. They are also one of my all time favorite quilts to make :)
As I have been working on (and stashing away) some sampler blocks, I decided that it would be fun to offer a Free Block Of The Week Program where together we could work on a lovely sampler quilt which I'm calling Chatelaine:

Every Wednesday I will publish a new block pattern as a PDF file for you to download. Each file will include a coloured diagram,cutting and piecing instructions plus any required full size templates. I will also include photos, tips and tutorials where applicable to assist in constructing your blocks.
The blocks will be a selection of my favorites (or my own adapted version) and the difficulty level will vary from week to week. I will also offer a final layout for the quilt, (including borders) as the weeks progress or you are free to chose a layout of your own. Even if you chose not to participate in the full sampler quilt, you can collect each block pattern and use them as a reference for other projects you may have planned in the future.
The blocks will finish at 6" square (6 1/2" unfinished) and for my quilt, I have chosen to use a mix of my favorite Bonnie and Camille fabrics and some lovely white homespun.
For the first week, I have chosen the gorgeous Milky Way block:
This block is a variation of the popular Friendship Star block and it is a great example of the reversal effect of light and dark fabrics. It's a quick and easy block to piece and you only need to chose two or three fabrics to get started.
To download and print the free PDF pattern, just go HERE.
If you chose to participate and you use Instagram, post a picture with the hashtag #chatelainebow to share your completed blocks with me and others. You can also grab the Chatelaine button from my sidebar to share with your readers, on your own blog by copying and pasting the HTML code into a "Gadget" on your blog layout.
Have fun with the first block and happy piecing :)

3 comments

  1. I'm just finding you. The quilt is beautiful and love the colours and space around each block thank you❤️☘️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also just found your site. I love it. Thank you for being so kind as to share these lovely projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to chime in..I recently found your site as well. I’m grateful for your free patterns. Everything is just beautiful! Following along with the latest BOM. Love your colors!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊