Chatelaine- Free BOW Sampler Quilt Block 52

This weeks stunning block is Contrary Wife. My research on the history of this block, led to me to the life of Frances Anne (Fanny) Kemble (1809-1893), who was deemed to be a "contrary wife". Fanny was a British actress who retired at the age of 25, to marry the American plantation owner, Pierce Mease Butler. She moved to America and lived on his Georgia plantation from 1838-1839.
The living and working conditions of the plantations slaves, appalled her. She tried to improve conditions and often challenged her husband, regarding the treatment of slave families. Her marriage ended, due to many disagreements and in 1863, during the Civil War she published her anti-slavery Journal of a Residence on a Georgia Plantation 1838-1839 which became her best known work in the United States.
Go Fanny! This block is a pretty representation of those "contrary" woman who stayed true to their own beliefs, during that time.
To download this weeks free block pattern, just visit HERE.
Happy sewing :)

1 comment

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊