Free Pattern- Christmas Mug Rugs

Have you started planning your Christmas sewing list yet? Are you looking for a quick and easy project to make for someone special this festive season? Well I have an adorable free pattern just for you. Its my new design, Christmas Mug Rugs:
Mug rugs are so easy to make and are easily adapted to suit any occasion, by changing the main block. I have a Coffee Mug Rug pattern in my Threadbare Ezine Issue Three and they make perfect gifts. As Christmas is approaching, I decided to design something similar with some cute little tree blocks. Both mug rug designs are included in the free pattern, so make your favorite version or make them both.
There is a paper pieced version, for those who love paper piecing as much as I do. Its a simple one block design and I love the little two toned tree. I used two shades of aqua but it would look just as cute in the more traditional Christmas colours. I included a strip of lace to add a little extra prettiness to each rug, but some ric rac would look lovely too.
For those who are not a fan of paper piecing, the free pattern also includes an applique version. The inspiration for this tree, came from a picture I saw on Pinterest of some adorable little trees made using some pink and red cupcake liners.
Apart from the white homespun, my mug rugs were made using Jelly Roll Strips, so they are perfect for using up any leftover strips you may have or a great excuse to open a new roll. I used "Printemps" by 3 Sisters and they are just gorgeous fabrics and perfect for Christmas projects.
Tie the mug rug into a roll with ribbon, add a pretty mug, a cute packet of biscuits or your own home baking and a few herbal tea bags and you have the perfect gift for teachers, neighbours or workmates. I'm sure the recipient will be thrilled with their gift and will use it often during the holidays, but don't forget to make one for yourself too :)
To download the free pattern, which includes both Christmas Mug Rugs, just visit HERE.
And if you haven't already, don't forget to download my free Christmas Planner:
I have been filling the pages of mine for weeks now, and all of my plans, ideas, lists and inspiration is all in the one place and easily accessible. Go to my blog post HERE to see whats inside the planner and to download your free copy.
Happy sewing and planning :)

9 comments

  1. Rose, What great gifts from you! Thank you. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this free tutorial and for solving a gift problem for me! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing with us your beautiful designs and gift ideas, love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here from Facebook and Christy Houser. Thanks so much for the pattern. Both of them are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for the lovely rug mug

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had found this sooner, but I am definitely using it for 2022. Thank you, and I can't wait to try making a mug rug, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a sewing student, who had not done FPP before, bring this as her class work wanting to make this for her mom as a gift (they do a homemade gift for one another each year). I just wanted to say, your pattern was easy to follow and so much fun to create! It's nice to have a pattern that is easy enough for the beginner but that allows for embellishment for the more advanced sewist. Thank you, for sharing your skills and knowledge with others in such a way. I will be sending others here for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats so lovely! I'm thrilled she had success with her project, and I hope her mum loves her handmade gift! You're comment made my day! Thank you :)

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊