Fireworks Mini Quilt + Your Free October 2016 Calendar

It's school holidays here again and we really needed this two week break. This term has dragged and its nice to know we can now relax in the spring sunshine and recharge our batteries. Spring is my favorite time of year. I can find the time to garden, catch up on some reading and simply enjoy the great outdoors. Its such a pretty time of year and its also time for my new monthly min and your free October 2016 calendar. So here it is; introducing the gorgeous Fireworks:
No matter how old you are, there's nothing more exhilarating than standing under the night sky, watching it come to life with bursts of beautiful colours, as the fireworks explode. I really tried to capture that spectacular display in this paper pieced mini quilt. The main star block, featured in this quilt, is my own design:
I combined a few different elements to achieve that burst of graduating colour you see when the fireworks explode and slowly fade. Its a lovely little block, which is quite easy to paper piece and I think it looks stunning. I chose two shades of the one colour for each block but it would also look lovely in a mixed palette as well.
I struggled with how to quilt this mini, mainly due to the black background. I did try some straight line quilting (which I ripped out), some echo quilting (which I also ripped out) and then I settled on some stippling, using a lovely light grey thread. I think it adds another element to the night sky and in the end, I was happy with my choice.
The little stars are small sections of the main block and they are designed to look as if they are fading into the background as new fireworks explode.
The Fireworks PDF pattern comes complete with full step by step instructions and diagrams,  paper piecing templates and a colouring sheet to help you plan your colours/fabrics prior to starting your mini quilt. There are also optional instructions to add a hanging sleeve or corner hangers.
If you would like to make your own Fireworks mini quilt, from today until the end of October, PDF patterns are available at the introductory price of $4.95 (AU) in my Big Cartel shop, HERE.
Or if you prefer an instant download, PDF patterns are also available in my Etsy shop, HERE.
I also have your free October 2016 Calendar, featuring the gorgeous Fireworks:
To download and print your free calendar, just visit HERE.
In a few weeks time, our annual Launceston Show begins and on the Friday night we are treated to a gorgeous fireworks display. Until then, this little mini will hang on my studio wall and bring me the same joy as watching the night sky explode into colour.
I hope you love my Fireworks mini quilt just as much as I do.
Happy sewing :)

5 comments

  1. I love it! You have succeeded very well represent a complicated concept! That is a good woork :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your choice of quilting is so perfect; at first glance I actually thought that was the print on the background fabric and I thought how cool is that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your quilting sort of makes it look more like a starry night in the background.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊