Zig Zag Cushion- Magazine Project

The current issue of Handmade magazine (Vol 36 No 12) is now on sale and inside there's one of my projects. After I'd finished sewing my Mira quilt, I had some scraps left over and I whipped up this super cute Zig Zag Cushion for their sister magazine to feature as well:


I really love this cushion. Its bright, its funky and I think it would make a bold statement in any room of the house. Its a generous 20" square in size so its perfect to snuggle up with on the couch or in the bedroom. I love adding bindings to my cushions because I think it gives them a more polished finish and it frames them perfectly.


Its a shame the photo's in the magazine don't reflect how bright and pretty this fabric really is but I hope you can see it a little better in my shots (unfortunately these colours do not photograph well). The fabric is called Cheery McGee but I still haven't been able to find any links for you to source it for yourself.  I'm sure you could easily find a lovely aqua and red combination in your stash which would be just as sweet.


If you love piecing smaller blocks then you'll really love making this cushion. Its constructed using sixteen 4 1/2" blocks (finished) and it does go together quite quickly. There are a lot of seams to match and keep flat but its super fun to work on.
I quilted it with an all over loopy pattern and it gave the cushion lots of gorgeous texture.


The bird print was my favorite in this range and the main reason I chose to work with these fabrics. I used it for the backing of my cushion and its a cute little surprise when the cushion is flipped over. This print would also make some gorgeous accent cushions or a lovely throw for a little girls bedroom :)


I love how simple the design is and the lattice effect it creates. It has the illusion of movement and the aqua/red combination is one of my all time favorites.
You could also make this into a lovely mini quilt or resize the blocks to make a full sized quilt; its a fun design to play around with and put your own stamp on.


This issue is packed with beautiful projects and there's some great ideas to get you started on Mother's Day gifts. Look out for this issue at your local newsagency or online shop.
I had lots of fun with this cushion and now that it has been returned to me, its brightening up my reading corner :)
Make sure you grab this months edition of Handmade and I'd love to see if you make my Zig Zag Cushion so be sure to tag me and I'll come and have a look :)


Happy quilting :)

4 comments

  1. It is beautiful! I hope you offer this as a PDF pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I will be offering it as a PDF Kristen but not until about August. I must abide by my magazine contract and wait until then :) I'm so thrilled you like it :) Thank you xx

      Delete
  2. Rose, this is really a cool pattern for a cushion! The fabrics really make it stand out. I'll be on the lookout for the magazine so I can use the pattern. So pretty and congrats for the magazine layout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy :) Its always nice to see your designs in print. I hope you're able to source the magazine. It has got lots of pretty projects to try :)

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊