Caring For Your Cutting Mat


Self healing cutting mats are an important tool for all modern quilters, and with a little bit of  TLC (tending loving care) you'll extend its life and save yourself money. As with all of your quilting tools, regular maintenance will ensure your cutting mats stay in tip top condition and that you're getting the most for your hard earnt dollar.

A few weeks ago I purchased a new cutting mat and I was so lucky to find an Australian stockist for the black and white reversible mat from Christopher Thompson aka The Tattooed Quilter.


Isn't it pretty? There was definitely a squeal of delight when I opened the box! This mat is beyond amazing!

My sewing room received an instant facelift and I wasn't sad to see my old mat leave - who decided that ugly green colour was perfect for cutting mats anyway?  Mine is the large 24" x 36" cutting mat but there's also an 18" x 24" size available which would be perfect for smaller sewing spaces or to pack for sewing retreats.

A self healing cutting mat will last for years and the life span doubles if its reversible because you get to flip it over! Decisions can be hard, and I was stumped as to which side to use first but it just had to be the white side...yeh!

I thought it was a good time to share a post about caring for our cutting mats because it will also be a personal reminder for me to be more vigilant with this new one. ;)

Here's a few tips for Caring For Your Self Healing Cutting Mats:



1. Remove Loose Threads and Fibres

A self healing cutting mat heals from the cuts we make with our rotary cutters, but loose threads and fibres get caught in the cuts and prevent the mat from healing as it should. We need to remove these threads etc. on a regular basis to allow the mat to do its thing.

Start with a scrap piece of wadding - the loose threads will stick to the wadding making them easy to remove. Use an eraser, or a soft dish scrubber or soft toothbrush dipped in room temperature water, to lift out the fuzz or fibres left behind but remember to be gentle. Harsh scrubbing will scratch and damage the surface of the mat and it will also scrub away your grid lines.

A pair of tweezers will help remove any stubborn threads or fibres stuck in your mat but again use a gentle hand, and be careful not to stab or pierce the cutting mat.



2. Treat Stains Quickly

Make sure you clean up any spills immediately - we all have the occasional coffee or tea spill and this will stain your mat. Dampen a soft cloth with cool water and wipe the spill clean. Ensure you mat is completely dry before storing.

Scuff marks or pen and marker marks can be removed with a magic eraser dipped in a little room temperature water and a splash of dishwashing liquid.  Treat these marks quickly and gently as those that have been left too long will only fade, not disappear completely. This also works for printer ink - don't ask me how I know ;)

The best way to treat any stains on your cutting mat it to act quickly and be gentle.  Prevention is the key but no matter how careful we are stains will happen. As long as you avoid harsh chemicals and you wipe gently not scrub, you should be fine.



3. Warp Prevention

Your cutting mat should be stored flat at all times. Mine lives on my cutting table but under a bed or under the couch works just as well as long as its laying flat and not leaning or standing on its edge. Never roll your mat - if you're travelling to a retreat or a sewing class consider purchasing a smaller sized cutting mat that can be laid flat in the boot of your car, and pack it last don't load everything on top of it.

Ironing on your cutting mat is a definite no-no, the heat will warp the mat and once its warped there's no magic solution to straighten or flatten your mat. This also applies to a cup of hot tea or coffee - keep you cup away from your cutting area to prevent accidental spills or heat damage (you'll protect your fabric as well).

Keep your mat away from direct sunlight or heating vents and never leave your mat in a hot car because it will warp.

Basically think of any heat source as your cutting mats worst enemy, and keep them separated at all times!


4. Move It, Move It!

Now this next one is the one I'm the most guilty of - I cut in the same spot every time! I have this huge mat with all this space and I continually cut in the same 6" square section. Its a bad habit I'm trying to break but I basically stand and cut in the same spot every time I sew!

Try to use as much of your cutting mat as you can when cutting, and alternate where you position yourself to work on a regular basis or turn your mat around. You'll still be able to use the grid lines and because you're using a cutting square it shouldn't matter which solid line you chose to line up your first cut.



5. Rotary Blades Only!

A self healing cutting mat is designed for rotary blades only so don't stab it with pins or tacks, or cut it with scissors - they're designed to take abuse but not that kind of abuse! 

A well maintained cutting mat will increase the life span of your rotary blade but a dull blade will ruin your mat. When your blade is dull you tend to saw back and forth to make your cut and this causes damage that wont heal. Make sure you change your blades at the first signs of dullness to prevent making unhealable grooves in your cutting mat.



6. Moisturise and Condition

Self healing cutting mats need moisture. The constant use of fabric will draw moisture from the mat and shorten its life expectancy, plus your blades will become dull faster. 

It is recommended to soak your mat in the bath, in a solution of cool water and 1/4 cup white vinegar for every gallon of water for 15 - 20 minutes, cleaning away stains and fibres at the same time. Rinse and allow the mat to air dry (not in direct sunlight) and store when completely dry - this will also help remove odours if your mat is smelly (or though I'm not sure why it would be smelly!).
{source - National Quilting Circle}

Now I've never soaked a cutting mat, nor could I fit one in my bath to soak, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried this before and what the results were. Let me know in the comments so other readers can also see it this has been successful.



A self healing cutting mat is a big investment but with proper care your mat should last for years. Make sure you clean it regularly, keep it away from heat sources and store it flat, and your mat will stay in tip top condition making you one very happy quilter.

Happy quilting :)
email signature

9 comments

  1. I have done this once or twice, and it does help some - but it won't completely restore it.
    I've also found that I cut in the same place every time! All that surface area, but it seems that I have a "comfort zone"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it Janette...our comfort zone! ;) I'm retraining my brain to move around with this new mat. Its a habit! Thanks for sharing that information. I've never done it so its interesting to see if it actually works. :)

      Delete
  2. Great tips Rose! Lovely to see you've got this lovely mat now too! I have put one of my mats in the bath...I never noticed any difference in performance, but I felt legit ;) x Ali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know Ali. I thought I'd research soaking the mat and include it even though its not something I've tried! Seems the results are inconclusive ;)xx

      Delete
  3. I number the corners of my mat (1-2 on the front and 3-4 on the back)then according to what week of the month that number is on the bottom right of my cutting table. I also wipe down my mat with a damp cloth when I am done cutting for the day. When I find I am cutting in a certain spot I put an object on it to remind me to "keep off"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these tips! They are great and doable! We really need to use all of the mat and get our monies worth! Thanks so much for sharing :)

      Delete
  4. I like the double sided mat with dark and light plus all the tips on using the whole mat. I have a white mat and it is harder to see the lighter fabric edge to cut. You need to up your adding skills and know that ll" to 14"or 16" will also produce the 3 or 5" square that you want. I need to remind myself all the time. Next mat will be 2 sided, why didn't "they" think about that before. Thanks for exposing us to the new quilting tools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ellen the white side does make cutting light fabric a little trickier but all the grid lines help. I do love the mat though, it cuts like a dream :)

      Delete
  5. Quite interesting. I've been reading several of your posts tonight, and you are definitely getting me fired up to finish setting up my sewing room and maybe purchase a new cutting mat!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊