Bookshelf July 2019

Hey book buddies! What genres are your favorites? I tend to read whatever grabs my attention at the time - a pretty book cover and the promise of a good plot is all it takes to hook me in! I love a good thriller, I get lost in a romance, I love the odd YA or historical fiction but I also read a lot of chick lit because its easy to relate.

I read five books during July, bringing my YTD total to 35/50. Most of them were great but a couple were quite disappointing (which is always sad), so here's my thoughts on each book:


Those Other Women - Nicola Moriarty

Nicola is the younger sister of Lianne and Jaclyn Moriarty and she is every bit as talented as her siblings. I loved this book, so much! It focuses on how women tear each other down and are quick to judge without knowing what goes on in the lives and minds of others.

Two Facebook groups, one for mothers and one for women who chose not to be mothers, come head to head when assumptions pit members against each other. Throw in a couple of imposters (women who have joined both groups to spy and report back) and all hell breaks loose. In a time where women should have each others backs, a feud escalates and spirals out of control.

Its a heartfelt story with beautiful characters who struggle with choices and balancing busy lives, who try to put on a brave face when feeling overwhelmed and who crave support from other women but don't really know how to ask.

Add this one to your must read list...you'll love it!



What She Left Behind - Ellen Marie Wiseman

This book was a major disappointment to me. The plot had the potential of an amazing story but I wasn't a fan of this authors writing style. Its written in two timelines - one part of the book is historical fiction and the other part is YA fiction, and neither complimented the other nor were they very well written.

I really struggled with this book - her overly descriptive attempts at setting the scene were way too much and her characters were wishy washy and unrelatable.

I don't like giving bad reviews because the author has put her heart and soul into her work but this book was hard work to read, and I soooo wanted to love it. :(

I will say that the last few chapters tied up all the loose ends and made me quite emotional so I was somewhat invested in Clara!  A very hard book to enjoy!



Sadie - Courtney Summers

This YA novel was gifted to me and I really enjoyed it. Its the story of Sadie and her murdered sister Mattie, and its told from Sadie's viewpoint and a podcast of interviews etc. collected by radio personality West McCray as he investigates the girls story. 

As West digs deeper, a horrific story of sexual predators unfolds and The Girls story will haunt you! The story is tightly woven and at times you'll be left holding your breath as you feel each and every blow of Sadie's journey to find her sisters killer. 

You also feel the pain of the girls pseudo grandmother and the guilt of their mother as suspicions are confirmed, secrets are exposed and the weight of their loss comes to light! A great read!



The Farm - Joanne Ramos

I purchased this book because the plot intrigued me - what people with money do and what people do for money! Its a story about surrogates at The Farm (Golden Oaks), desperate for a piece of the American dream, and the people who prey on and benefit from those trying to achieve it. 

It was an OK read but the story lacked depth and it all fell quite flat actually. The author missed a lot of opportunities with this book, and I was expecting a more dystopian story like The Handmaids Tale but it was nothing like it - just a cold exchange of babies for money!

There was one quote which summed up the book perfectly - as long as you know how to make money, money does everything else! True I guess, but I think there's more to life than money!

Not a book I'd recommend when there are so many other entertaining novels out there waiting to be read!



After You - Jojo Moyes

This was my favorite book of the month. Its the sequel to Me Before You, which I loved too, and to be able to read more about Louisa was wonderful - not sure why its taken me so long to read this one!

This book will make you smile, cry, laugh and it will warm your heart. Jojo Moyes has a wonderful writing style and she draws you into the lives of all of her characters.  Louisa is so different in this book but grief has changed her and I think this real representation gave the sequel substance. There were new characters to fall in love with and old ones who have evolved and grown.

Me Before You was heartbreaking and a hard book to follow, but the sequel has a different vibe which I loved, and the ending sets up book number three (Still Me) - I can't wait to read this one now! I loved it!


So that's what I read during July. I'd love to hear what you read too. You can leave any suggestions in the comments or come and find me on Goodreads (search for Rose Johnston) and we can be book buddies :)

Happy reading :)
email signature

No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊