{Classic Quilt Blocks} Pinwheel - 9 of My Favorite Pinwheel Quilts

I hope you've been sewing up lots of Pinwheel blocks after last week's tutorial. They're easy to sew and you can quickly build a stash of blocks and make some gorgeous quilts.

This week in my Classic Quilt Blocks series I've decided to share 9 of My Favorite Pinwheel Quilts. They're an eclectic, but stunning bunch of traditional and modern designs - some are free patterns and the rest are patterns to purchase, and you're going to be inspired to create your very own Pinwheel quilt.


Designers love using this simple block in quilt patterns, because it adds a little sweetness to any quilt. It's dainty, pretty and easily identified, and it's a timeless block that beginner's and expert quilters love to piece.

There are so many gorgeous patterns out there, so let's have a look at 9 of My Favorite Pinwheel Quilts:



When I think Pinwheel quilts, the first one that comes to mind is Camilla's Dilly Dally quilt. I absolutely adore this pattern - it's my favorite Thimble Blossoms pattern ever! 

It's a simple pinwheel quilt and she's softened the blades to give it a more refined shape, and it creates gorgeous movement in the quilt - they appear to be swirling in the breeze, don't they? I love the soft colours in this quilt too. So pretty!

You can purchase a copy of the Dilly Dally pattern in Camille's shop.





A simple layout and the addition of applique creates this stunning Petals and Pinwheels quilt from The Quilting Company. The solid grey pinwheels create a fresh modern feel, and I adore those bright purple petals - they look so dramatic against the pinwheel background.

A beautiful quilt that would make a huge impact as a wall quilt in any room of your house. You can purchase the pattern from The Quilting Company.



Scrappy quilts are my favorite and this Pinwheel and Patches quilt from Amanda Niederhauser will have you digging through the scrap baskets. Isn't it stunning? I love how snuggly and cosy it looks.

Amanda has framed the Pinwheel blocks with lots of scrappy squares making it a super-fast pattern to sew. You could use a full fabric range of gather a heap of scrap fabrics to recreate your own version.

There's a free tutorial for the Pinwheels and Patches quilt on Amanda's blog. Pop over for a visit!



I love the movement in this gorgeous Pinwheel Child's Quilt from Beech Tree Lane Handmade. It's a classic Pinwheel block with the addition of some extra HST's to create more dimension and shape to the original block.

Isn't it a lovely kids quilt? I'd love one for myself. :) You can purchase a copy of this Pinwheel Child's Quilt pattern in her shop.



This Prairie Pinwheel quilt from The Cloth Parcel is similar to the Dilly Dally quilt. I love the alternate snowball blocks and how pretty are those prairie points around the outer edge? It all works together so well and it's an eye-catching quilt.

The Prairie Pinwheel quilt is a free pattern from The Cloth Parcel.



I fell in love with this Grandma's Pinwheel quilt from Jessica Dayon as soon as I saw it. It has an antique feel and I love the addition of sashings and cornerstones between the pinwheel blocks. The Pinwheel blocks have scrappy blades which look so pretty - the fabric is gorgeous too.

This quilt is a free pattern and it finishes at a generous 80" square so it's perfect for a bed quilt or something for the whole family to snuggle under on the sofa.

The Grandma's Pinwheels quilt pattern can be found on the Moda Bakeshop website.



The Pinwheel Party quilt from Twiddle Tails is a Pinwheels lovers delight. It's an eclectic mix of gorgeous colourful blocks and it really is a party in a quilt. I love a rainbow solid quilt but I also saw a softer version HERE which is super pretty.

Grab your solid fabric bins and purchase a copy of the pattern in Anina's shops.



Plus signs are very popular in quilting and how wonderful do they look combined with the Pinwheel blocks. I love this Pinwheel Plus quilt so much, it's fresh, modern and a bit of a show stopper. The Pinwheels are set on point which creates movement, and they are quite dramatic sewn in the solid grey.

This pattern is from the book Modern Plus Sign Quilts book from C&T Publishing and is available on their website.



Christmas is approaching fast and this Pinwheel Mini would be perfect for decorating. The colour palette is reminiscent of peppermints and its super cute. It also has that antique vibe which I love and it would add a traditional touch to your family Christmas.

The Pinwheel Mini is a free pattern from The Sentimental Quilter and is available on her blog.

And that's 9 of My Favorite Pinwheel Quilts. They are all so pretty and I hope you love them too!

Next week I want to show you how the Pinwheel works with the other Classic Quilt Blocks we've looked at in past months plus I have a super sweet mini quilt for you - you're going to love it!


Happy quilting :)
email signature

1 comment

  1. Thanks! I absolutely love pinwheels and there are some nice pattern shown here.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊