9 Fabulous Quilting Notions - Add My Favorites To Your Christmas Wish List


As Christmas approaches and people ask you what you'd like as a gift, do you answer, oh I don't need anything? I do that all the time. I'll search high and low for the perfect gifts for my family, but I tend to forget about myself.

This year I thought I'd put together a wish list of quilting notions, so the kids and hubby have a few ideas for what I'd like (I know you're reading this post guys!). If you need to drop a few hints to your loved ones, then pick your favorites and send them over here for the links - I look out for you guys, don't I?  

And please note that these are not affiliated links, just my personal wish list.


1. Wool Pressing Mat

Every quilter who owns one of these Wool Pressing Mat's is singing its praises. It's a little extra help for pressing super flat seams, it eliminates puckering and waviness and it minimises fabric stretching. Oh, I want one!  

There are a few companies making these mats and there are different sizes available, so I'd suggest you do some research and find the right size for you. I'm linking the Nido Wool Pressing Mat on Amazon, but do a quick Google search for more.

Anything that saves you time and yields great results is a welcome addition to the sewing room, and the reviews I've seen on these mats have been super positive which is fantastic.

2. Clover Hot Hemmer

If you're working on a pattern for a cushion or bag and it says fold and press a 1/4" or 1/2" hem, do you just eyeball it like I do? Well this Clover Hot Hemmer will make all the difference and help you maintain an accurate fold for pressing.

It has a non-slip surface so it won't move as your pressing and you can leave it in place as you press and use the markings to keep the fold even. I can be used with either a dry or steam iron and I think this will be a valuable tool in the sewing room.

Check your local quilt or haberdashery shops for this one or Australian readers can purchase the one HERE.



3. Eiffel Tower Secret Couture Sewing Kit

Most crafters carry a sewing kit in their handbag and mine is looking a little worse for wear. I could sew a new one, but I absolutely adore these kits. Each kit includes needles, threader, safety pins, tape measure and some thread, so all the basic needs are covered for sewing or measuring emergencies.

There are three designs available; the Eiffel Tower, Montmarte and New York. I love them all but the Eiffel Tower one is my favorite.

4. Binding Babies

These Binding Babies have been a staple in the quilting community for quite some time now, and I've never had the urge to buy one until I attached the binding to the Wedding Quilt. I had so much binding and keeping it under control was time consuming.

These little wooden buddies store your binding until you need it and then you can pop it on a spare spool on your machine, so it feeds as you sew. There's a tonne of sweet designs to collect and I'm convinced I need a few of these.

The full range can be found HERE.




5. Quilt Dots - Needle Nannies

I'm guilty of popping pins in my mouth. I know, I know it's dangerous and I have magnetic pin holders, but I don't like them close to my machine, so between the teeth is the next best thing.

These Quilt Dots - Needle Nannies can hold up to 4 pounds of pins and even a pair of scissors - this is like an extra pair of hands in the sewing room! You can wear them on your shirt, your scarf or on your sleeve and your pins stay close but there's no potential harm to you or your machine.

Lots of designs to choose from. I'm linking these from Naness Notions.




6. Clover Desk Needle Threader

I don't know about you but they seem to be making the needle eyes very small these days ;) Even with my glasses I still have problems so I think it's about time I got a Clover Desk Needle Threader.

This one is great for all needles (except quilt petites) and the reviews say it's perfect for small eye needles. 

Amazon has them in three colours so choose your favorite HERE.



7. Bobbin Buddies

These Bobbin Buddies are just what I need to keep the bobbin and matching thread together on the spool rack. Such a simple solution that's time saving and very clever.

I visit Spotlight regularly and I've never seen them as I've perused the haberdashery aisle, but I'm on a mission to find them and wrap them up as a present to myself ;)

Check your local quilt or haberdashery shop, or Australian readers can click HERE.



8. Clover Wonder Clips

I already have some of these Clover Wonder Clips but a girl can't have too many right? I use mine for everything but binding, and they're the handiest notion you can have in your sewing room.

I use them to hold paper pieced sections together instead of pins. They're also great for holding seams flat and aligned when you're sewing rows together.  I also use them to keep cut pieces organised prior to piecing and to bundle small scraps that I don't want to lose. They're also perfect for holding pattern pages together that you don't want to staple, they seal the top of that secret lolly bag you've got hiding in your sewing table drawer, and they hold your notes together as your working on a project.

A million and one uses and you can find them just about anywhere but I'm including the Amazon link HERE



9. The Tattooed Quilter's Cutting Mat

I already own one of these amazing mats from Christopher Thompson, but I added it to the wish list because I'd also like a smaller one ;)

Cutting on these mats is like slicing a knife through butter, and I love that the markings are so prominent. There's a black and white side and I do alternate regularly so I'm not cutting in the same place each time, plus it changes the look of the sewing room - like an instant mini make over.

The mats are available in two sizes, and if Santa's feeling generous (cough cough) I'd really like the smaller one for craft days, teaching or travelling, that's how much I love this mat - I don't want to leave home without one. 

These mats are difficult to source in Australia, but the Fat Quarter Shop has them listed HERE.


So that's my Christmas Wish List. I can do life perfectly fine without any of these notions, but if my loved ones are looking for ideas, well ... ;) What will you add to your wish list this Christmas?

Happy quilting :)
email signature

No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊