Classic Beach Bag {Little Monkey's Crochet}

The Classic Beach Bag is roomy, stylish and super easy to crochet, and it's a free pattern from Rebecca at Little Monkeys Crochet.



The latest crochet project off my hook is the Classic Beach Bag from Rebecca at Little Monkeys Crochet (also Yarn and Chai), and I love it, it's absolutely perfect for a day at the beach.

I started this bag months ago, with dreams of a long hot summer and many trips to the beach, but sadly that is not the reality here in Australia at the moment. As you may have heard, bushfires are ravaging parts of this beautiful country, destroying homes, lives, wildlife and our landscape. It's beyond terrifying and nobody feels like going about their normal lives - at times the smoke makes being outside uncomfortable and we're nowhere near the actual fires (how it must be for those in the affected and close proximity areas). It's a daily worry for all Australian's, and something as simple as a change of wind can make it even scarier!


I am happy to have this Classic Beach Bag finished and ready for maybe next summer. It's roomy, very stylish and super easy to crochet - it's all single crochet (US terms). Rebecca is an extremely talented designer and her projects are always versatile, and her patterns are written so well and very easy to follow.

I used Lionbrand 24/7 cotton for my beach bag and I chose a navy/aqua and white combination. The yarn colours in this range are stunning and there were so many possibilities. I decided on a nautical inspired palette and I love it.


It's roomy enough for all your beach supplies and I did line my Classic Beach Bag with some Bonnie and Camille fabric, adding three deep pockets to one side to house the little things that tend to migrate to the bottom of a large bag i.e. keys, sunglasses, phone.

Rebecca's pattern doesn't include the lining instructions, but it's easy to add something to suit your needs and I'm happy to share any tips if you need some help (send me an email and we'll chat).


It was one of those patterns you can crochet while you watch television, without the distraction of counting or checking instructions constantly. It did take me awhile to finish, but I wasn't in a hurry and I enjoyed crocheting a few rows every night as I relaxed after a busy day.

Rebecca has kindly done all the math for two sizes (an adult and a child's size), so you can crochet matching ones for all the family or personalise them in their favorite colours. You could also add some vinyl zipper pouches for wet swimwear or to keep snacks safe from sand and sea water.


I really enjoyed crocheting the Classic Beach Bag and hope to make another one for Madeline later in the year.

Please keep Australia in your prayers. There's been an outpouring of generosity from all over the world already, and so many wonderful ways to help, from crocheting koala mittens to making cool ties for our brave fire fighters.

If you're in a position to donate, then Celeste Barber is collecting and distributing funds to where they are needed the most (to the fire stations, animal rescue, victims and for medical supplies). She's absolutely amazing! And don't worry, if you can't spare time or money just keep praying for rain - we need that in abundance too!

 Happy crocheting :)
email signature

No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊