{Classic Quilt Blocks} Bow Tie - Modern Twists

Classic Quilt Blocks have been sewn for centuries, are easy to recognise and are every quilters favorite. Let's celebrate these gorgeous blocks and add them to our quilting projects!


It's the final week of my Bow Tie series and I've really enjoyed sharing this gorgeous Classic Quilt Block with you. The posts inspired me to start my own Scrappy Bow Tie Quilt, and I hope they've inspired you to use this block more often as well.

To end this month's block, I thought I'd show you some wonderful modern variations of the traditional Bow Tie block, in case you're looking for something a little different.

First up is this very clever 3D version of the Bow Tie block:



I found this wonderful tutorial on the Generations Quilt Pattern website and it incorporates a 3D knot on the Bow Tie block - isn't that clever?

The tutorial includes full step by step photos and written instructions, plus there's a formula for adjusting the pattern to sew any block size you want. It's pieced using five squares cut to the same size and there's a simple twist to form the 3D knot.

This block would be perfect for an array of projects - I'm thinking a cute baby quilt or perhaps a cushion to add a little texture. So fun!



I also love this modern take on the Bow Tie block from Cluck Cluck Sew. This is a free tutorial on Allison's blog, and it's a fun way to use up scraps and solids from your stash.

Isn't it cute? Another great idea for a baby quilt don't you think? A sweet and simple variation.



This modern Dad's Bow Tie Quilt from Polka Dot Chair is stunning, and the pattern includes instructions for two sizes - a twin and a baby sized quilt.

It's such a fun pattern and it's traditionally pieced with a little applique to make the bow tie knot. She's also added Pinwheels which you know are my favorites. A super sweet pattern indeed, and I love her colour palette!



Bowties by Christine Weld is another gorgeous example of a modern Bow Tie quilt. This is a free pattern on the Moda Bake Shop, and she's chosen a mix of solid bow ties and set them in a tumbler formation.

This is a fun quilt and the colour and fabric possibilities are endless. Bookmark this one to sew for the men in your life this Father's Day!



And this little cutie is a modern Bow Tie block pattern from 42 Quilters. It's sewn and then cut offset to create a whimsical bow tie.  It also looks perfect prior to trimming, so play around with both options. There is a step by step tutorial to help you out and it looks so fun to sew.

A quilt full of these blocks would look stunning, but you could also add one to any sampler pattern to give it a modern touch.


And that's my last instalment of this month's Classic Quilt Block. It's been fun finding ways to share this Bow Tie block with you and tempting you to use it in your quilting projects.

I have another gorgeous block for you next month, and the first post goes live on Friday February 7. I'm super excited about this block - it's a block we've all sewn, it's great for beginners, it's versatile and the variations are endless. Stay tuned!


Happy quilting :)
email signature

No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊