Christmas Eve Wishes Blanket - Pattern by Anita Gibney

Looking for a festive crochet project? Anita Gibney has designed the gorgeous Christmas Eve Wishes Blanket and it's a fun and stunning free pattern for you to recreate.


Earlier in the year, Instagram suggested an account to me, and after a quick scroll I could see how talented this designer was.  Her projects are stunning, and I found her Christmas Eve Wishes Blanket pattern and instantly fell in love.

Anita Gibney from Made By Anita is running a CAL for this gorgeous project, and I'm thrilled to have mine off the hook ready for Christmas. I imagine the grandchildren snuggled under this blanket for many Christmases to come and it will make a cozy decor piece as we celebrate the season.

It's a very large and detailed pattern, but I think you have time to make a version for yourself or at the very least plan one for next year. 


In my eagerness to start this project, I went to Spotlight for yarn, forgoing ordering something online. I purchased their Marvel 8ply, and I don't typically use this yarn because it doesn't drape nicely. The pattern suggested a larger hook than I would normally use, and this helped soften the drape, making the end result very pleasing.

Their selection of colours is also limited, but I was able to find a similar palette to Anita. The reds in the Marvel collection have an orange undertone which I didn't like, so I went with the burgundy - I think it gives the blanket a cozy vintage feel.

I always buy an extra ball of each colour yarn when I'm working on a project. The Marvel yarn and the Sirdar Yarn Anita used are very similar in ply and yarn length, and I did need those extra balls. It may have been how I crocheted (I'm a loose crocheter) but it's something to keep in mind when selecting yarns for your own blanket.

Anita writes a very detailed pattern, and this helped with unfamiliar techniques such as the graphs for the stars, gingerbread men and Santa hats. She explains everything perfectly and once I got started, I found it much easier than it looked.

The pattern includes embroidery for the eyes and mouths of the gingerbread men once the blanket is complete. I found this challenging with the weight of the blanket and access to the position of the embroidery. I added buttons for the eyes and decided to omit the mouths - I'd suggest adding the embroidery as soon as the gingerbread men are crocheted so you have better access to their little faces.

I have a vast ribbon collection, but nothing complimented the blanket colours. For now, my bows are black ribbon and I'll purchase something else later - finished is better than perfect right?


My favorite part of the whole blanket were the Santa hats! I couldn't wait to add these to the blanket and they're so sweet and quick to crochet. I'm such a child - these make me soooo happy!

When I first found this pattern, it was written in UK terms only and it is easy to translate to more familiar US terms, but I made an error on the first Bobble row (watching TV as I worked and not paying attention), and when I realised I was too far into the blanket to pull it back. 

I worked the other Bobble rows the same way to keep it consistent, but my bobbles aren't sitting nicely.  I noticed in her updated CAL she has included a US version which is fantastic and extremely helpful to those familiar with US terms.


The border is sweet and simple which is great after all the work in the blanket itself and I love the multicoloured pom-poms. These were fun to make with a pom-pom loom, and they add even more coziness to the blanket.

I also added one of my leather Handmade labels as a finishing touch and now my Christmas Eve Wishes Blanket is complete and ready for the grandchildren to snuggle under this Christmas season.  I'm hoping to use it as a prop for their Christmas Eve photos. They will look adorable snuggled in it!

Make sure you visit Anita's website and show her some love for designing this gorgeous crochet project. A lot of work has gone into the pattern writing and organising the CAL and she has made it so easy for you to create your own Christmas Eve Wishes Blanket.

I love mine and I'm sure you will too!


Happy crocheting :)






2 comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊