Calendar Girls - Mary (Block Two)

Do you want to sew the blocks featured in my Free 2023 Calendar? Come and meet the Calendar Girls and join me in a very, very casual sew along!

Morning lovely!

Welcome to Block Two of the Calendar Girls sew along! Every second Wednesday I'm releasing one block pattern from my Free 2023 Calendar for you to sew in any project you desire!

Block Two shares its name with someone very, very special to me. I talk about her all the time on the blog, and not a day goes by when she isn't in my thoughts. She passed twenty-eight years ago, and even though I haven't talked to her in such a long time, my heart keeps in contact with her every day!

Let me introduce you to Mary!


Our second block is the sweet and angelic Mary.

She is a traditionally pieced block with a little applique, and she's stunning!

She enjoys knitting, baking, embroidery, playing the piano, and watching Days of Our Lives. You can't help but fall in love with Mary. She has the heart of an angel, a smile full of mischief and the most infectious giggle. She never has an unkind word for anyone, and she'll open her heart and home to you with a plate of hot scones and a warm cup of tea!

Mary was my nan (grandmother) and I adored her!


My goal was to make these block patterns as easy as possible for you, so to piece Mary I used some strip piecing and traditional piecing, and the peels are appliqued on after the block is constructed - don't they remind you of angel wings?

I'm trying to stay true to the fabrics I used in the calendar and sometimes I look at this block and I like it, and other times I don't - the background is too busy! I'll remake this one with different fabrics later, so keep that in mind when choosing fabrics for your own block.

There is a colouring sheet in the free PDF pattern, so you can play around with combinations prior to sewing.


The free PDF pattern includes instructions and diagrams for four sizes of the Mary block - 6", 8", 10" & 12". It's up to you how many you sew or what you use them for - you have two weeks until the release of the next block, so sew away!

Just mentioning again, there are no fabric requirements included in the pattern, but you will need three fabrics for this block.

To applique the peels, you can either machine applique as I did, or use raw edge applique or you can use the freezer paper method. The free PDF pattern includes full sized applique templates for each size.


Everything you need to make your own Mary block is in the free pattern and to download and print your copy, simply click the link:


Have fun sewing this block. My nan loved blue and she had the heart of an angel. I know she would have loved being my Calendar Girl and this block feels like the perfect tribute to her.

The next block in the series is the elegant and sassy Sheila!


I can't wait to introduce you to Sheila on Wednesday 29th of March. She's a great block to sew and she shares her name with my other nan!

Have fun sewing Mary lovely! I can't wait to see what you create with these Calendar Girl Blocks.

Enjoy!

PIN FOR LATER:


Happy quilting :)

2 comments

  1. thank you so much. I'm in the middle of your chatelaine , i'm a very slowly sewer =)) But I enjoy and feel grateful for this new and beautiful blocks. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I hope you enjoy the Calendar Girl blocks as well :) Can't wait to see your Chatelaine Quilt :)

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊