D.I.Y Sewing Machine Cover - Tutorial Part 1

Good morning guys! I've had Beau, my Brother VQ3000, for sixteen months now and we've being having the best time piecing and quilting together. After a hard days work I'd cover the poor little man with the plastic dust cover that came in the box to protect him from the elements - sunlight, dust and the dreaded cat hair. Beau deserved soooo much more!
It was definitely time to grab the fabric bins and sew a pretty quilty cover for him plus it gave me the chance to share another tutorial with you.


I'm posting my DIY Sewing Machine Cover tutorial in two parts because there's lots of information I want to share, and all of it will help you sew the perfect sized cover for your machine.
First I had to decide on the best type of cover for Beau and I'm not body shaming him but he's a bit of an odd shape - I think he's a lost Kardashian brother because he's a little rounder on the back end. ;)  A simple rectangular cover with fabric bows securing the sides was the perfect choice to keep him safe after a hard days work, and he looks pretty damn dapper in the sewing room I must say! I decided on a scrappy mix of 2" (finished) squares set on point because I love the sweet simplicity of this layout.


In Part 1 of this tutorial I'll give you some tips for measuring your machine and choosing the right size for your cover. I'll also give you a quick overview of cutting, piecing and quilting your new machine cover.
In Part 2 I'll share some step by step photos for sewing and adding the fabric bows, plus I'll discuss the bindings and a few options to personalise your cover.
Are you ready? OK, let's go:


The first step to making your own cover is to measure your sewing machine.  These initial measurements will determine the minimum width and length of your rectangular cover (we'll add extra to both measurements in just a minute).
To determine the minimum width measurement for your cover, measure across the front of your machine. Don't forget to include the bumpy bits on the side (hand wheel etc.), these need to be covered and protected from the elements as well. Record this minimum width measurement.


To determine the minimum length measurement of your cover, begin at the bottom of the widest part of your machine and measure up and over the top of the machine and then down the back side of the machine. Record this minimum length measurement.
With this style of cover you will need to add a little extra to your minimum measurements to incorporate how the cover folds around the machine when you tie the bows.  I suggest adding at least 5" to the minimum width measurement and 2" to the minimum length measurement to make a generous cover that adequately protects your machine.

So using Beau as the example, my minimum width measurement was 23" and my minimum length measurement was 31". I increased the measurements to 28" x 33". Using the diagram above meant I would need to piece 10 rows x 12 rows to achieve the size I required (sizings will always be weird with on point settings, just round up or down to the nearest inch).
To use this chart, add 5" to your minimum width measurement and find the nearest width on the chart to determine how many rows wide your cover will need to be. Add 2" to the minimum length measurement and find the nearest length on the chart to determine how many rows in length your cover will need to be. Does that make sense? I hope so (just email me if you need some help!)

Armed with a plan of 10 x 12 rows I needed to choose some fabrics. I've had a charm pack of Porcelain fabrics sitting on my cutting table for months and I must have been saving them especially for this project without realising it. ;) The prints in this range are so pretty and the colours are soft and subtle, perfect for any sewing room.
I decided to break up the prints with some white homespun squares but you could make a whole top full of beautiful scrappy squares if you want.


You'll need to cut a batch of 2 1/2" white and assorted print squares plus some setting triangles and corner triangles. Quantities will vary depending on the size of your machine cover but the cutting size of each of piece is the same and is listed in the chart above.
Each row will begin and end with a setting triangle with the white and print squares alternating in between. You can use the diagram as a guide to sew your required rows and to sew the rows together to construct your sewing machine cover top.
In each row I pressed my seams towards the prints, and after joining the rows I pressed the long seams open. Add the corner triangles once all of your rows are sewn together, and then press the top well in preparation for basting and quilting.


Cut a rectangle of backing fabric and wadding at least 4" wider and longer than your machine cover top. Lay your backing fabric right side down on a flat surface and tape to secure. Lay the wadding on top and then lay the well pressed machine cover top on top, right side up. Pin baste for machine quilting and hand baste for hand quilting. Quilt as desired.
I quilted my machine cover with serpentine quilting spaced about 1/2" apart and of course Maria had to give me a hand with the quilting. She has a strange obsession with Beau and I need the cover to protect him from cat hair (insert eye roll).
So that should keep you busy until I post Part 2 of this tutorial. I had a few charm squares left over so I decided to sew a couple of accessories to compliment my new machine cover:


I used Lisa's tutorial to sew a Charm Square Fabric Tray to hold my binding clips while I paper piece, and I also made one of my Halfsies Pincushions which I released as a free pattern back in 2017. The pincushion fabrics are from another Three Sister's fabric range because I used all of my favorite Porcelain fabrics in my machine cover, but they all work so well together so that's OK.
Both of these projects are super handy in the sewing room and they'll give your sewing space an instant facelift.
Have fun with the first part of this tutorial and I'll be back soon with Part 2 so you can finish your cover!
Until then...happy sewing :)

6 comments

  1. I love your 'Beau Cover'. Thanks for the tutorial. I really need to make a cover for my machine. I've had it for 5 or 6 years and never got around to making one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anorina. Beau does look pretty dapper now - I really disliked that plastic dust cover. I hope my tutorial gave you some inspiration or motivation to make one for your machine. You'll be able to play around with it and make it you're own :)

      Delete
  2. I’m in process of making your cute machine cover. Can you tell me what the finished size of your cover is? I’m trying to figure the size after the seams are sewn.
    Thanks
    Rosie🌹

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosie,
      I went slightly larger than my machine and mine finishes around 28 1/2" x 33 1/2". Hope that helps :)

      Delete
  3. Me encanta!! Es preciosa!!! Escribo desde Barcelona (España) y me he animado a hacerla. No me saldrá tan bonita, pero lo intentaré. Muchas gracias y Feliz día!!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊