Lemon Delicious

Morning guys! Its officially the end of my free lemon season - meaning dad picked his last of his lemons and his trees are sadly bare :(  He had a bumper crop this year and he's been supplying us with plump juicy lemons for months.
These last precious lemons were smaller and a bit weather beaten but I've frozen some of the juice to use over the winter, and I also baked a Lemon Delicious slice which is a recipe you need to have in your files.


As the name suggests, this slice is delicious! If you're a fan of Lemon Meringue Pie then you're going to love this slice as well because its quite similar, with the exception of the fluffy meringue top.
This Lemon Delicious slice has a huge, and I mean really huge, hit of lemon that will have your taste buds dancing for hours. The base is delicately flavoured with coconut and the lemon filling is smooth, creamy and very refreshing. Its a slice that refreshes the palette after a hearty winter meal and makes a refreshing treat on a hot summer's day.


Its very easy to bake, using a few basic ingredients and its best made the day before you need it because it requires at least two hours chilling time before cutting and serving.
The base needs to be pressed into your baking tin quite firmly so make sure you grease and line all four sides of your tray so you can remove the slice easily and it doesn't stick in the corners.


Once the filling is whisked together, I pour it through a wire sieve before adding it to the base just in case there's a few lumps of flour or unwanted bits of lemon floating around in there. I find this creates a lovely smooth filling and you'll be certain all the ingredients are combined completely.
This recipe makes twelve decent sized pieces and it stores well in an air tight container in the fridge for 4-5 days.


A generous sprinkling of icing sugar is all this Lemon Delicious slice really needs but you could serve it with a quenelle of cream and a mint leaf or two, to cut through the lemon zestiness.
A scattering of roasted coconut flakes would also enhance the flavor of the coconut base and they also look pretty darn cute.
To make you own roasted coconut flakes, simply spread coconut flakes on a lined baking tray and bake in a preheated 160C oven for 5-8 minutes - they brown up quite quickly so keep and eye on them so they don't burn.


It's a lovely, tangy slice but it is quite sweet so make sure you bookmark this recipe to bake on your cheat day! ;)
If you would like to give my Lemon Delicious recipe a try you can download the recipe card by clicking on the link or right click on the photo below and save it to your computer.



I hope you enjoy this recipe. It was the perfect way to use up the last of dads lemons, and I'm eager for his next crop. I love baking with lemon and dad loves eating whatever I bake so we've got a fair trade going on :)


Happy baking :)

4 comments

  1. We call them lemon bars, and I absolutely love them, so thanks for what looks like a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Susan! They're very refreshing. Enjoy :)

      Delete
  2. What a delectable way to honour your Dad’s lemon harvest….they truly are delicious! He must be very proud. I’ll be making them again…but doubling the recipe as my family scoffed them down in no time. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad your family enjoyed them as well :) They are lovely and perfect with a quiet cuppa :)

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊