{Classic Quilt Blocks} Pinwheel - Combining Blocks + A New Mini Quilt Pattern

This is the last of my Pinwheel Classic Quilt Blocks posts and I'm a little sad - I love this block so much and I've enjoyed sharing it with you. I've tried to think of different ways to inspire you and I hope this month's posts have encouraged you to sew some lovely Pinwheel projects.

Today I'm going to show you how to combine the Pinwheel block with the other Classic Quilt Blocks we have looked at, plus I'm releasing a fun new mini quilt pattern.


Combining blocks is simple and fun and you can use the Pinwheel block with any other block that has a square in the setting - this is where the cutting charts I've been sharing with each Classic Quilt Block will come in handy. :)

Let's start with the first block I shared, the Churn Dash:


Looks pretty doesn't it? All you need to do is replace the centre square with a Pinwheel block. Here's an example:

  • To make a 12" (finished) block, refer to the Churn Dash Cutting Chart and the centre background square is piece (C) which is cut to 4 1/2" square.
  • Refer to the Pinwheel Cutting Chart and sew a 4 1/2"(unfinished) Pinwheel block to replace the background (C) square. Proceed with the rest of Churn Dash block as shown in the tutorial.

Super easy right? Let's see how it looks in the Sawtooth Star Block:


The Pinwheel block just adds something extra doesn't it? Here's how to make a Sawtooth Block with a Pinwheel centre:

  • To make a 6" (finished) block, refer to the Sawtooth Star Cutting Chart and in this example the centre square is piece (A) which is cut to 3 1/2" square.
  • Refer to the Pinwheel Cutting Chart and sew a 3 1/2" (unfinished) Pinwheel block to replace the centre (A) square. Proceed with the rest of the Sawtooth Star block as shown in the tutorial.

Let's do the Log Cabin block as well:


I love this mash up! Again it's simply a matter of using the charts to incorporate the Pinwheel Block:

  • For a 16" (finished) block, refer to the Log Cabin Cutting Chart and in this example the square is piece (A) which is cut at 4 1/2" square.
  • Refer to the Pinwheel Cutting Chart and sew a 4 1/2" (unfinished) Pinwheel block to replace the (A) square. Proceed with the rest of the Log Cabin block as shown in the tutorial.

Hopefully the more blocks we look at, the more options you have to play with, and you'll be creating unique blocks for all your projects.

To celebrate my Pinwheel Classic Quilt Blocks series, I'm also releasing a gorgeous new mini quilt pattern. You may remember in my Pinwheel - A Introduction post I mentioned that as a child I fell in love with those pinwheels on a stick at our annual country show. I was fascinated with their colourful movement in the breeze, and I thought it was time to sew one in fabric:


Awwww! This mini quilt hangs right in front of my sewing machine so I can look at it every day and it makes me so happy. It's sweet, simple and a very fun mini to piece.

This is a paper pieced mini quilt finishing at a teeny 6" x 12" and you can either sew it as a mini or make lots of them for a quilt full of Pinwheels. The Fairground Pinwheel Mini Quilt PDF pattern is now available in my Etsy shop for a small price ($1.99 AU + taxes were applicable). Simply click on the link below to purchase your copy:


Have fun with this mini quilt pattern and don't forget to send me some photos - I love to see what your making with my patterns, and maybe I'll feature your project in my monthly newsletter.


I'm taking a little break from my Classic Quilt Blocks series, but you will see it return in January 2020.  Right now, my Mother of the Bride duties take priority and it's where I need to be. I'll still be posting regularly, and I have a whole lot of Christmas inspiration ready to share with you so stay tuned, it's going to be fun!

Happy quilting :)
email signature

No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊