{Classic Quilt Blocks} Bow Tie - 7 Layout Options

Classic Quilt Blocks have been sewn for centuries, are easy to recognise and are every quilters favorite. Let's celebrate these gorgeous blocks and add them to our quilting projects!


Last week I shared two step by step tutorials for the gorgeous Bow Tie block - each version a perfect representation of the ever popular males neck attire.  I'm sure you've been sewing up a storm in lots of colourful combinations, but what do you do with them now? Today I'm going to share 7 Layout Options to inspire you to create your own quilt/s.

I've kept these layouts simple, because sometimes simple makes the prettiest quilts, right? Playing around with different options inspired me to start my own scrappy version, and I'll share more on that in a blog post next week. It's looking so pretty!

So, let's have a look at the seven layouts I designed to inspire you. Please note these are not patterns, merely inspiration to get you creating.


Setting your squares with a plain block of either a solid fabric or a focal fabric (i.e. a floral), creates such a sweet quilt. The plain blocks highlight the beauty of the Bow Tie blocks and make them the focal point of this quilt.


Sewing them together with the same orientation creates a colourful and fun quilt. You can set the blocks by colour in diagonal rows like in my example, or go completely scrappy to incorporate more colour.


This is a popular layout because it creates that wonderful secondary pattern. I love this classic layout and it's my favorite way to set Bow Tie blocks.

Sew the blocks into four patch units in the orientation shown in the diagram on the left, to make a quilt full of Bow Ties that's eye catching and full of possibilities - this is the layout I'm using, with a slight twist!

I love this option as well. Setting four Bow Tie blocks with the same orientation to create a four patch gives the quilt lots of visual interest. The alternating plain squares really make those little Bow Ties pop. I must use this layout for my next quilt. :)


They also look pretty set in rows, don't they? You could also alternate the orientation of each row, so the eye is drawn across the quilt in waves. I added a narrow sashing, but you could also add some wide borders and sew yourself a very pretty quilt.


They also work well in an on point setting, and this layout would make a gorgeous mini quilt. I love the simplicity of this layout, and it reminds me of the rack of bow ties you used to find in a menswear shop. So fun!


And finally, this layout is the piece de resistance, and doesn't it look stunning? It's a fun way to set the blocks and it looks great in rows of colour, as in the diagram, or in lots of scrappy fabrics.

It's easy to add more blocks if you want to expand the pattern. Start with the four centre blocks (the pink ones) and keep adding outwards to continue the pattern and make a larger quilt.


So that's my 7 Layout Options for the Bow Tie block. Which one's your favorite? There are so many fun and unique ways to set these blocks, and I hope I've given you enough inspiration to have a play and create one that's pleasing to you.

Don't forget you can incorporate them into Classic Quilt Blocks we have already looked at - a Churn Dash with a Bow Tie centre would look stunning!


Next week in my Classic Quilt Blocks series, I'm going to show you some modern twists on the humble Bow Tie block. It's a fun post and a great way to end this months featured block. Stay tuned!

Happy quilting :)
email signature

2 comments

  1. Thanks a lot for the setting options, the final one is great!! I'm looking for baby quilt ideas, and this just looks like the answer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful Eileen. I'm so glad you found them useful :)

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊