Roma Mini Quilt PDF Pattern

Mini quilts may be small in size, but they're super fun to sew! They're a fast finish with less commitment, and every month I add a new design to my pattern family to tempt you!


It's monthly mini quilt time, and my new pattern for June is the gorgeous Roma. Isn't she just the sweetest? She's everything I love about quilting all wrapped in one tiny quilt. There's gorgeous geometrics, lots of individual pieces, and a chance to inject as much colour as you want! Perfection!

Roma is a teeny tiny 12" square mini quilt pattern and she's dainty but screams look at me! She's fully paper pieced, and you can whip up your own version in a few hours - it's super quick!


Roma's obvious focal point is the centre Courthouse Steps block. It's a relative of the classic Log Cabin and just as fun to play with. It has symmetrical strips on either side of the centre square instead of the traditional wrap around strips of the log cabin.

It's another classic quilt block and it represents justice - an important part of society during the early 1800's which is still relevant today. Courthouses were the home of local law and in some cases, they also housed the regional government. The courthouse steps would have been very familiar and meaningful to the pioneer quilters of this era and were used to create some stunning quilts.


I chose to name this quilt Roma to honour Dame Roma Flinders Mitchell who was the first woman appointed as a judge in Australia in 1965. Among other things, she was a huge advocate for women and a pioneer of the women's rights movement here in Australia - thank you Roma!

She was also the first woman to be a Queens counsel, the first chancellor of a university and the first woman governor of an Australian state.  She was nicknamed "Roma the first" and contributed so much to our Australian society.


You'll be able to play around with colours and fabrics for this mini quilt, and I can't wait to see what you come up with. I chose two colours for the steps and I used a mix of fabrics, starting with the lighter shades in the centre and working out to the darker shades.

You can use a scrappy mix like I did or just two fabrics to define the steps, and I've included a colouring sheet in the PDF pattern so you can have a play with colours/fabrics prior to committing to sew. You might like to inject more colour into the outer feathering as well, the choice is yours!


The PDF pattern also includes step by step instructions plus full-sized templates to ensure making your version of Roma goes together smoothly and easily. I've also included optional instructions for adding a hanging sleeve and corner hangers so you can display your quilt on your mini wall.

Make yourself a mini quilt or use the design for a cushion or bag front or make multiples for a full sized quilt (it would be stunning).

PDF patterns are now available in my Etsy shop and from today until the end of June 2020 they are at the introductory price of $4.95 (AU) + taxes where applicable. Simply click the link to purchase your copy today:




I hope you enjoy sewing your own version of my Roma mini quilt pattern. It's such a fun little quilt and it's so easy to paper piece - it's a good mini for all levels of quilters, and a great way to hone those paper piecing skills!

Don't forget to send me a photo or tag me on social media so I can see what you sew. If your project is selected as my newsletters Readers Project, you will win a free copy of the next month's mini quilt pattern.

Stay safe and stay healthy!


Happy quilting :)
email signature

No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊