{Classic Quilt Blocks} Basket - Block Variations and Quilt Inspiration

Classic Quilt Blocks have been sewn for centuries, are easy to recognise and are every quilters favorite. Let's celebrate these gorgeous blocks and add them to our quilting projects!


Welcome to Week Three of my Basket Classic Quilt Blocks series. This week I'm looking at variations of this gorgeous block, plus I'm sharing four of my favorite Basket quilt patterns - you're going to love these quilts!

The Basket block has many variations, and they're all swoon worthy. Whether they're pieced or appliqued, simple or intricate, the Basket block has been a staple block for quilters throughout history.

To inspire and encourage you to design your own block/quilt, I've drafted up some of my favorites - please note these examples are for inspiration purposes only, there are no patterns provided.


Adding extra HST's to the Basket creates a fuller block that is pretty and fun. Both examples would be great for scrappy quilts or to use in the centre of medallion quilts.

It's a simple variation that creates a lot of impact!


I also like the extended handle of these two blocks. It gives the basket more shape and these would be great for Easter projects - applique some eggs, flowers or a bunny in the basket and voila!


With or without the handle, these two blocks are super cute. The HST's have been added to the basket base and aren't they gorgeous?

The handle would be appliqued on, and you could design this yourself to suit the look you're going for!


And finally, the flower baskets. How pretty are these two? 

I love them both, and next week I have a medallion style mini quilt pattern for you with one of these blocks as the centre feature! So fun!

So there's just a few variations of the Basket block to inspire you. I hope it gives you some ideas for creating blocks of your own.

To end this week's post, I wanted to share my four of my favorite Basket Quilt patterns with you. These quilts are stunning, and the best news - they're all free patterns!  Here we go:



Happy Baskets by Annette Plog is a stunning quilt with pieced blocks and appliqued handles. It's set with solid alternate blocks, and how stunning is that quilting? I love the colours too, so calming.

You can download the free pattern for this quilt HERE.



Berry Nice Baskets is a gorgeous pattern designed by Cyndi Hershey for P & B Textiles. These little baskets dance around the nine patches and its a clever and fun design.

You can download a copy of the free pattern HERE.



Basket of Scraps from Marcus Fabrics is another of my favorites. I love the shape of the baskets and the layout is so pretty. It's another pieced/applique style pattern and perfect for an Easter quilt.

You can download the free pattern HERE.



Last but not least is the Savannah Garden Quilt by Mary Ellen Van Holt, which is super pretty and a beautiful example of basket blocks. Those applique flowers add something special to the design and those fabrics are heavenly!

You can download the free pattern HERE.


I hope these patterns inspired you! They're lovely quilts and any of them would be perfect for Easter or Spring.

Don't forgot I re-released my Easter Basket quilt pattern on Monday! There's a discount code for 50% off on this post and it's only active until April 2, 2021. Make sure you grab your copy before the code expires.

Next week is the final week in this month's Basket Classic Quilt Blocks series, and as I mentioned I have a medallion style mini quilt pattern for you as a fun way to end the series. It's super pretty and I think you're going to love it! 


Happy quilting :)
email signature

2 comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊