Old-Fashioned Carrot Cake

Want to make something classic for Easter? Every bunny will be hopping over this Old-Fashioned Carrot Cake. It's moist, delicious and it's super easy to make!


One of my must makes for Easter is the Old-Fashioned Carrot Cake. I bake it once a year - Easter Monday - and it's a nice reprieve from all the chocolate. 

I've never been a chocolate lover but give me a slice of this cake and I'm in heaven.

I inherited this recipe from my grandmother, and I've tried others but hers is the best - the very best, trust me! I have made a few tweaks to it over the years, but every bite takes me straight back to her kitchen.
 

One of the big changes I made to the original recipe was how I baked it. Her recipe is for two cakes, and she would sandwich them together with cream cheese frosting and add a heap more to the top. 

I love the cake, but I personally found the frosting to be very sweet and it overpowered the lovely flavor of the cake. I bake the same recipe in a 9" Bundt pan and I've halved the quantity of frosting and only use it for the top of the cake.

For me it's just enough but if you like sweet, then bake it like grandma did - make sure you adjust the baking time if you decide to bake two cakes.


The Old-Fashioned Carrot Cake is very moist and soft, with all the flavour and texture you expect from a carrot cake. 

It's gently flavored with ground cinnamon and there's delicious crunch from the walnuts (omit these if you like), plus a mild flavor and sweetness from the luscious carrots - I grate around four large carrots for this cake. 

I use two sugars (light brown and white) - grandma used white only- to create a balanced sweetness, and there is a large oil content, but it doesn't overpower the flavour or make the cake oily.

This recipe has a lovely combination of classic ingredients that make the perfect cake every single time.


The best time to eat a Carrot cake is the day you bake it, but it stores very well in an airtight container for a few days. To time save, you can bake the cake the day before you need it and add the frosting before serving and your cake will still be amazing - I prefer to bake and eat the same day!

The Old-Fashioned Carrot Cake recipe is a quick mix and bake recipe and it's all super easy. It takes around an hour to bake but start checking it every five minutes from the 45-minute mark, to be sure you don't overbake it. Once your skewer comes out clean, it's ready!


This cake is the perfect snack for Easter Monday as we watch movies or play board games, but it also makes a lovely dessert. One slice will have your guests begging for more.

If you would like to bake the Old- Fashioned Carrot Cake, simply click the link to download the recipe card or right click on the photo below and save it to your computer.




I hope you and your family enjoy this Old- Fashioned Carrot Cake recipe. It's a classic cake for Easter and one you'll make over and over again.

Enjoy!

PIN FOR LATER:



Happy baking :)

2 comments

  1. I can't wait to make your carrot cake recipe. I did have to find out how much the cream cheese and butter were in cups/tablespoons. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Suzy! I hope you and your family enjoy it as well :)

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊