Halley Mini Quilt PDF Pattern

Mini quilts may be small in size but they're super fun to sew! They're a fast finish with less commitment and every month I add a new design to my pattern family to tempt you!


I'm super excited to share this month's new mini quilt design. This comet design has been on my mind for some time and it's wonderful to finally see it come to life in fabric.

Please welcome the stunning Halley to my pattern family.

I love producing designs in different shapes and Halley is a gorgeous rectangular quilt that adds something special to the mini wall, plus it's also perfect to use as a table topper for a coffee or hall table.


Halley's comet is by far the most famous comet, and it was last seen here in 1986. It's a once (possibly twice) in a lifetime visitor and everyone was talking about its arrival, but if I remember correctly, it was not as impressive or as visible as everyone hoped.

Halley is a periodic comet and is expected to return in 2061. It was named after Edmund Halley an astrologer, mathematician and physicist who realised in 1682 that comets periodically returned to our night skies, correctly predicting Halley's return in 1757.

Comets are special because they are like giant frozen time capsules in our solar system. They are thought to hold materials from when the Sun and planets were forming billions of years ago. So cool!


To bring Halley to life, I choose these stunning fabrics from a few of Edyta Sitar's fabric lines. You know how much I love her fabrics and this combination was an absolute joy to work with.

Hailey would look stunning in any fabric combination and half the fun is choosing which fabrics bring you the most joy! 

The PDF pattern does include a colouring sheet so you can play with colour/fabric combinations before you commit to sewing your mini quilt - it also makes a great colouring page for the kids!


Halley finishes at around 10" x 16" and it is a foundation paper pieced pattern. It's a fast quilt to construct and the perfect weekend project.

Knowledge of foundation paper piecing is essential and if you need a little help, you can follow any of my tutorials here:



I'm only an email away if you need some extra help with foundation paper piecing, so contact me if you have any questions or concerns.


The foundation paper piecing templates for Halley are very easy to piece but due to how the mini is constructed its important you join sections accurately for the best results.

Take your time, pay close attention to the notches on the templates and read my Paper Piecing Tips and Tricks blogpost to help you join the sections together accurately and easily.

Otherwise, there's nothing particularly tricky about the Halley Mini Quilt. It goes together beautifully, and I've included coloured diagrams to help your construct your quilt with confidence.


The Halley Mini Quilt PDF Pattern includes step by step assembly instructions and full-sized templates so you can print and sew without any fuss.

There's also a colouring sheet to help you plan your fabrics/colours prior to piecing your mini quilt, and optional instructions for adding a hanging sleeve or corner hangers to display your quilt on your mini wall.

I've also included any tips I feel are useful for constructing this mini, and I've been generous when calculating fabric requirements so you can sew with peace of mind.  


Halley was an absolute delight to produce, and I'm thrilled to see it hanging on my mini quilt wall.

If you would like to purchase a copy of the Halley Mini Quilt PDF Pattern, PDF patterns are now available in my Etsy shop and until the end of June 2024 they will be at the introductory price of $4.95 (AU + taxes where applicable).

Simply click to link to purchase your copy today:


I hope you enjoy sewing your version of the stunning Halley. I missed Halley's Comet in 1986 and I probably won't be around in 2061, so I'll admire my fabric comet. I hope you do as well :)

Enjoy!


PIN FOR LATER:


Happy quilting :)

No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊