Easter HST Quilt 2.0 Week 1 - Introduction

Making an Easter Quilt adds a festive touch to your home, and with so many wonderful novelty prints available a simple design and layout is all you need. Join me and sew my Easter HST Quilt 2.0!


If you've been following me for a while, you might remember I made a Easter HST Quilt back in 2019 which was promptly "stolen" by our daughter Maddi to live at her house. She fell in love with it from the minute I started sending her progress photo's, and I love that she loves what I sew, so I didn't mind that I only snuggled under it once while I was binding it (and once when I was visiting her). ;)

When I saw the gorgeous Easter Egg Hunt fabrics from Natalia Juan Abello, I knew I had to make another HST quilt and I decided to switch this one it up a bit and sew the Easter HST Quilt 2.0.


I haven't had a casual sew along in forever, and I'd love you to sew the Easter HST Quilt 2.0 as well, so let's do this! I've divided the pattern into three instalments, so I can give you lots of options, tips and ideas to make it your own, and we should be finished by or before Easter.

I should show you the Easter HST Quilt 2.0 I'm sewing, shouldn't I? This is how I roughly designed it in EQ8:


Pretty right? It still needs some tweaking, but you get the idea!

It's a fun mix of large and small HST's and a fun way to showcase the pretty Easter Egg Hunt fabrics. There are only 18 prints in this bundle, so there's going to be some shuffling to get a balanced scrappy mix, and it's inevitable I'll have some similar prints/colours touching, but I'm OK with that! :)

I love small blocks, so these little cuties finish at 6" square and they're in an 11 x 11 layout or 121 squares. My original plan was to mix up the smaller HST's, but I think that will cause me a bigger headache. I fell in love with them in colour sets anyway, but it's up to you how you mix and match the HST's and what works best for you and your fabric selection.


Let's talk about these gorgeous Easter Egg Hunt fabrics for a minute. The colours are vibrant and fun, and the prints are super sweet. There's cute little basket carrying bunnies in the garden, carrots, bunny faces, eggs hidden in flowers, geometric shapes, and flower gardens.

The fat quarter bundle has 18 fabrics and they're perfect for an Easter quilt. If you choose fabrics from your own stash, I'd suggest choosing a larger selection of prints and colours to achieve that balanced scrappy look without similar prints or colours touching.


The only thing you need to do this week is choose your Easter fabrics, and that's always the fun part. You can go with a novelty print like I have, or a mix of pastels that say Easter to you or go crazy and pick some vibrant prints that feel festive and fun!   

For 121, 6" (finished) blocks (11 x 11 layout) you will need:

  • 2 3/4 yards (2.55m) white background fabric
  • 2 3/4 yards (2.55m) assorted print fabrics 

Choose a large mix of prints for your quilt - I'm cutting from each of the 18 fat quarters in the bundle and I'll use the leftovers for other Easter projects.

If you decide to make more blocks for a larger quilt, you will need to alter the fabric requirements to suit. This quilt will finish at around 66" square.


So, that's it for this week. Next week I'll give you the cutting requirements and block tutorials for the whole quilt, so you can start cutting and get sewing!

I hope you join me and sew a version of my Easter HST Quilt 2.0. Hopefully we'll all have a cute and fun quilt to snuggle under this Easter.

PIN FOR LATER:


Happy quilting :)
email signature

4 comments

  1. Rose your timing could not have been more perfect! I too saw this sweet little fat quarter of cuteness and could not resist. It's been sitting on my sewing table for a few weeks now while I finished a few other projects so all I have to do this week is decide on a background fabric and I am good to go. It's not been all that cold in Wisconsin this winter but it sure has been gray and gloomy so this little project will most certainly be a bright spot in my days. I can't wait to get started. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that’s wonderful Jackie, I’m thrilled your joining me. The fabric is soooo pretty and I love the cute prints. I think it will make a gorgeous little quilt. It’s starting to get cold here, so we need a new Easter quilt 😜 any excuse right? I hope you have fun!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing such a pretty spring quilt. -- Robinn
    quiltyladyrr at gmail dotcom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I hope you have fun with the pattern :)

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊