{Classic Quilt Block} Flying Geese - Quilt Blocks and Quilt Inspiration

Classic Quilt Blocks have been sewn for centuries, are easy to recognise and are every quilters favorite. Let's celebrate these gorgeous blocks and add them to our quilting projects!


Welcome to Week Three of my Flying Geese Classic Quilt Blocks series. I hope you enjoyed sewing last week's Dutchman's Puzzle block - it's such a fun and gorgeous way to showcase some simple Flying Geese!

This week I want to show you some other examples of blocks with a flock of geese and share some of my favorite Flying Geese quilt patterns. Please note: the diagrams in this post are for inspiration purpose only, there are no patterns!

Are you ready to be inspired? Let's go:


Simple settings such as these two examples make such a pretty block. These formations are a great way to use Flying Geese and they are effortless and beautiful.   

Sew four in a vertical row and add sashings or sew two rows of four in a horizontal formation and alternate the orientation.


Multiple rows add even more visual interest to a block, and you can inject lots of colour making them perfect for scrappy quilts.

Alternating the orientations of the rows will create a different look like these two examples:


Aren't these blocks fun? So simple but effective! Make the Flying Geese even smaller by adding more rows for a busy flock of geese!

You can also set Flying Geese on the diagonal:


So pretty and perfect to use as corner blocks for borders or alternate their orientation and create patterns in a full sized quilt.

These are just a few examples or how to use Flying Geese in blocks. I hope they have you plotting and planning blocks of your own.

To end this week's post, I wanted to share my top four favorite Flying Geese quilt patterns with you. These quilts are stunning and the best part - they are all free patterns/tutorials. Yay!





The Remixed Geese Quilt from Robert Kaufman is stunning! I love its scrappiness, the alternating directions of the geese and those colours are amazing. A simply beautiful quilt!

You can download the free pattern HERE.





The Dutch Ombre Baby Quilt is one of my absolute favorites! V and Co. have a comprehensive tutorial for this quilt and it's so clever and such a beautiful quilt!

You can find the free tutorial HERE.





Another one of my favorites is Northbound from Piece and Quilt. I love the scrappiness of this quilt with all the prints and the low volume fabrics! The formation of the flying geese is very clever as well.

You can find the free tutorial HERE.




And last but not least is the Flying Colours quilt from AGF Studio. This one is gorgeous and a very clever layout that reminds you of swirling flocks of geese overhead. Love it!

You can download the free pattern HERE.


And that's it for this week. Are you itching to sew your own Flying Geese quilt yet? I hope so!

Next week is the final week of this months series and I'm sharing something fun! I have a modern mini quilt pattern for you, featuring some gorgeous Flying Geese - it's bright, it's colourful and it's fun! I can't wait to share it with you!


Happy quilting :)
email signature

No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊