{Classic Quilt Blocks} Flying Geese - A Tutorial

Classic Quilt Blocks have been sewn for centuries, are easy to recognise and are every quilters favorite. Let's celebrate these gorgeous blocks and add them to our quilting projects!


Welcome to Week Two of my Flying Geese Classic Quilt Blocks series! It's tutorial week and this week is always my favorite because we get to sew together.

In this step by step tutorial we're sewing the gorgeous 6" (finished) Dutchman's Puzzle you see in the photo above. This is a clever formation of eight Flying Geese blocks, and isn't it a wonderful block? It's super fun to sew too! 

At the end of the tutorial, I've provided a Cutting Chart for six sizes of this block for you to use in future projects, and I've also compiled a list of links to other Flying Geese tutorials that you might want to try. Some of them might be time saving if you're sewing lots of blocks, but today we're sewing the Dutchman's Puzzle the traditional way - one flying geese at a time!

I hope you had some time to plan your block using last week's colouring sheet. Are you ready to sew? Let's go:


From your background fabric cut:
  • 8 x 2 1/2" squares cut diagonally to yield 16 triangles (A)

From your dark print fabric cut:
  • 1 x 4 1/4" square cut diagonally twice to yield 4 triangles (B)

From your light print fabric cut:
  • 1 x 4 1/4" square cut diagonally twice to yield 4 triangles (C)


  • Sew a background (A) triangle to the left short side of each of the four dark (B) print triangles and the four light (C) print triangles, pressing seams towards the background triangles.


  • Sew a background (A) triangle to the right short side of each of the four dark (B) print triangles and the four light (C) print triangles, pressing the seams towards the background triangles.
  • Using the seams as a guide, carefully trim each of the eight flying geese to 2" x 3 1/2"


  • Sew a light print flying geese unit to the top of each of the four dark print flying geese units, along the long sides and pressing seams towards the light print flying geese. 
  • Arrange the four units into two rows of two units, using the photo above for correct orientation and placement of all units.


  • Carefully matching all seams, sew the units together into the two rows, pressing seams in alternate directions for nesting.


  • Carefully matching all seams, sew the two rows together, pressing the seam open to complete your Dutchman's Puzzle block which should measure 6 1/2" square.

Ta da! That's it! One gorgeous block to use in future projects. 

Did you enjoy sewing the Dutchman's Puzzle block? I think it's a gorgeous way to use Flying Geese blocks and you can sew some pretty projects with this block.

To make it easy for you, I've provided a Cutting Chart of six sizes of the Dutchman's Puzzle block for you to use in future projects without having to worry about all the math. The trimming sizes for the Flying Geese are included as well for easy reference.

Simply click on the link to download your free Cutting Chart or right click on the photo below:



There are several ways to piece the Flying Geese block, so I've put together a list of links to tutorials that might save you time if you decide to sew a full sized quilt. 


I hope these are useful for you and I hope you enjoyed today's tutorial. If you have any questions, then don't hesitate to email me - I'm always here to help!

Next week I'll be sharing some other block patterns using different Flying Geese formations, plus I'm sharing some of my favorite Flying Geese quilt patterns. There's lots to inspire you so I hope you join me!

Thanks for sewing with me!


Happy quilting :)
email signature

No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊