Thursday, July 26, 2007

House Medallion Part 1

You may remember my House stitchery....for some time now i have wanted to design a Medallion quilt, so this stitchery was my starting point. I have seen many Medallion quilts which i just love and i did a bit of research and found that they originally started with a square (on point) and then borders were added to show the quilters skill.....ive probably broken every Medallion rule, but heres part of my version:

These r the corner blocks, which i agonized over but im sticking with them lol.......so then it was off to the fun part........the borders!!!! ok so bare with me on this, i might change my mind:


I just love Flying Geese, so of course they had to be in there somewhere, why not the first border??? I plan on another 2 major borders at this stage so i will post as it progresses. Its been fun to sew so far and i want it to be quite busy and scrappy and then u can just use up whats in the "stash".......its just a matter of getting those measurements right (and we all know how good my math is lol)...........so far so good (ok i confess, i had a total math meltdown with the first pinwheel but i fixed it lol)
Stay tuned for the next border.......it could be awhile cause i got Maddi's Birthday Quilt to be finished before next Wednesday..........but i think so far, so much fun!!!!
Take care
Rose xxx

15 comments:

Anne Ida said...

Hi, sweetie! Your House Medallion looks great so far! You're right, it is rather busy, but the stripes of green and burgundy fabric calmes it down a bit. This wil be another hit! Hope you dont add to much busy-busy around it so the stitchery "drowns" - you know how sentimental that house makes me *lol*! Have fun with the math :o) Hugs, xxx

Bren said...

Beautiful Rose! It is a wonderful medallion! The fbrics are beautiful. You are very talented.

Linda said...

It looks terrifc so far Rose. Certainly a new twist on medallions, but so effective. So nice to see quilters/stitchers step out of the box and do something different for a change.

Butterfly said...

Hi, Rose.
Love the house medallion. Never mind breaking some rules, Isn't that what development is??? I like it rather busy - it fits!!!
Looking forward to the rest :O)

Hugs

Jodie said...

It looks great, I can't wait to see what you come up with for the next 2 borders.

Jodie

Jeanne said...

Wow! You have a wonderful beginning on your medallion quilt! You must be a natural designer. Keep up the great work!

Tazzie said...

It's looking just wonderful Rose, I can't wait to see what's to come.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Sweet P said...

Love it, love it, love it. What a great way to use a stichery project. You've inspired me to make a medallion quilt with one of my stitcheries.

Pam said...

I love the medallion block! You make such great stitchery patterns. And the flying geese are just perfect for the "feel" of the block.

I'm sorry I was on holiday and unable to join in the draw. I found a magazine that has some stitchery patterns in it - maybe one day.....

Lynda (Granny K) said...

I love quilts that just 'grow' so much more than 'planned' ones. The scrappier the better for me!

Norma said...

I like it, but then I am a scrappy quilter! The center medallion is wonderful.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Don't you know...there are no rules, just your vast imagination! I like what you are doung, the borders look fab. Tracey

Leigh said...

Another beauty from you Rose. You are such a clever person. I love the stitchery and agree with Anne Ida, about not drowning it out as it is rather busy, but I'm sure you'll achieve the look you're after.
Hugs.

Wendy said...

I LOVE IT....I LOVE IT...your house medallion is exquisite, I can't wait to see more. Good for you getting the math worked out, I would still be agonizing over it.

Susan said...

Love the house, love the corners, love the flying geese. My eyes want something light in there, though - either a border before the flying geese, or something in the geese that's lighter. Love it anyway. Maybe the next two borders will give my eyes a rest?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...