Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Journey Of A Design- Part 1

I thought it might be fun to share how a design (or an idea in my head) comes to life. I have a few new designs in progress at the moment but Id like to share this one with you. For this project I was given the fabric first and then let loose with the design:

This is Modas Winter range!!! Gorgeous fabrics, so my mind was full of ideas. For me, a design usually comes to life with a theme or a phrase......something dear to me. I usually draft ideas in the car, waiting to pick up Cohen from school...... quiet time!!! They start in my "el cheapo" sketchbook and then i proceed to draft them up on paper:

Trust me, even after my drawing class, I still tend to use "half a tree" worth of paper to get the design I want. I have found that drawing parts of the design and then putting it all together works so much better for me!!! Once I draw it up in black pen, I transfer the design to fabric and then I have to choose the cottons:

I have boxes like this!!! How do you chose what colours work best??? I went with redwork, its my favorite at the moment and it works so well with the fabrics:

Stitching was fun!!! I still made a tweak or two in the process!!!! Im loving the Xmas theme!! Now how will I set the design??? More in Part 2!

9 comments:

Danetta said...

These fabrics are beautiful and I love your designs! I look forward to seeing how you put it all together.

May Britt said...

A beautiful pattern. I work like this too. Having a sketchbook to write my ideas in.

Mar said...

Keeping my eye on this one, what a lovely start!!

Julia said...

Rose, what do you use as a stabilizer? I like this one. I love the simplicity of redwork.

Sweet P said...

Thanks for sharing your design process. I'm looking forward to Part 2

Christine said...

Wish I could draw like you ... you make it look so easy. That angel is divine. (I guess that's appropriate!) Lovely fabrics ... I can see why you like them. And the red stitching will really compliment them. Looking forward to part 2.
Christine

Susan said...

I love this idea. Thanks for sharing your process with this part. Love your angel!

Anne Ida said...

Oh, this angel is beautiful, sweetie! You'll have a wonderful quilt here! And how great you're sharing your creative process with everyone!

tracey said...

Love the angel design,
Be wonderfull to see the finished quilt,
Thankyou

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...