Blog Hop With A Difference

I've really enjoyed getting to know other bloggers who have participated in the "Blog Hop With A Difference" over the last few weeks. The purpose of this blog hop is for each blogger to tell their readers a little more about their creative life. I was tagged by the very talented Leanne of Lizzie the Quilter, so today its my turn to share more about my story and then pass the baton on to three more bloggers.
Hi, I'm Rose and I have been designing for eight years under the business name "Threadbare Creations":
And these three "crazy" people are the very reason I live, breathe and do every single thing that I do:
My wonderful husband Les, my gorgeous daughter Madeline and my cute and cuddly son Cohen. They are my motivation, my inspiration, my passion and my three true loves :)

So onto the questions......there are a few different questions being answered by bloggers, so I chose the ones that help tell more about my story and me.
How did you come up with your business name?
My mother is very "house proud" and growing up meant once the beds were made, there was no sitting on them (for any reason), our lounge room was only used on special occasions and you could only cook at mealtimes, to avoid messing up the kitchen. While I like to keep things clean, we live in our home and around the time I started designing, we were in desperate need of a new lounge suite; ours was threadbare :). It had been sat on, played on, endured countless drink and food spills, had doubled as a sick bed and a midnight refuge from hubby's snoring; it was a great place to hide Lego, Matchbox cars and the occasional Barbie head at cleanup time; a gathering place for stories and family photos, a fort, a boat, a castle.......you name it, it suffered every bit of everyday living we could throw at it. But most of all, it was well loved.  I wanted to design projects that were practical, would be used often, would give comfort and be treasured and loved until they were threadbare......and that's how "Threadbare Creations" came to be.
What are you working on right now?
Currently I'm finishing a lovely magazine project, I'm working on ezine projects for Issue 5, I've started cutting a new quilt design and I'm working on a free pattern for the blog.........and its a stitchery; I haven't stitched in so long so its a real treat for me :) Stay tuned for that one. And I'm crocheting another afghan for Madeline's room.
How long does it take to create a project?
The time I spend on a design varies. I enjoy each and every part of the process (ok maybe not basting!!) It's a "labour of love" and I like to take my time, see how the fabrics work together and try a few different options until I'm happy with the end result. I quilt all my own designs on my domestic, so this adds to the finishing time. I have only had one design custom quilted and although it looked lovely, I felt disconnected.....I prefer to be hands on throughout the entire process and my FMQ skills are developing because of it :)
What are my favorite things to create with?
Fabric, definitely! I love pieced projects (the more pieces the better) and I love giving more depth to a design with applique. But I also have an addiction to buttons and ribbons/trims which I do love using in smaller projects.
How does my creative process work?
Some designs I plan/draw/draft fully before I get to work but most of the time designs begin with a vague idea and then they evolve on my studio floor as I work. I like to challenge myself and incorporate different techniques; some work and some don't. I am the absolute worst at Maths, so designs change because I haven't worked things out properly at the beginning, but for me, that's all part of the process.
How do I become inspired and stay inspired?
I find inspiration everywhere.....I brought a scarf the other day and saw a quilt design within its pattern. Most of my designs are inspired from sights, sounds and smells which have conjured up a childhood memory. Quotes are another form of inspiration for me and in any room of our home, you will find some mantra to remind you to enjoy the important things in life.  And the internet........so many talented, wonderful people sharing what they do and whats important to them :)
What would you be doing if you weren't designing?
Writing the great novel...........during my teenage years, my English teacher Libby, was a HUGE influence in my life. She introduced me to all the classic novelists/poets/playwrights and encouraged and guided my own writing style. In her free time, she would take me to weekly writing meetings (Tasmanian Fellowship of Australian Writers) and was in the audience when I won my first award. I had my first short story published at 14 and its still a passion of mine to one day, write that novel.
Favorite time of the day?
Dinner time :) Between work, University study, school and after school activities, social lives and our own various independent interests, the dinner table is the place where we "catch up" and share our days. Accomplishments are commended, ideas are discussed, burdens are shared and there's lots of chatter and laughter.......lots, we are very loud!!! :)
So that's a little more about my creative life and what inspires me. Now I have to pass the baton on to three more bloggers so they can share their own story. I tag the very lovely:
     Tara from Tazzie Quilts
Vicki from The Pickledish Patch
and Pauline from Calico Crossroads

No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊