Chatelaine- Free BOW Sampler Quilt Block 65

This weeks lovely block is Rail Fence. This is a simple yet very effective block and you guessed correctly if you assumed this block was named after the humble split railed fence.
Rail fences are made using timber logs which are split lengthwise into rails and constructed without the need for nails or other hardware. They were widely used in pioneer life, especially in woodland areas, as they were easy to assemble on hard or rocky ground and could be disassembled and moved, if necessary. During the Civil War, split rail fences were a major source of firewood for the Union and Confederate armies.
This is a versatile block to have in our quilt libraries and you can construct yours as I have, with all the darks towards the centre or you can have a play around with any of these options:
Whichever layout you choose, its a quick block to piece, using some easy strip piecing. You will notice in the pattern, that I make two strip units to crosscut, instead of one long unit. I do it this way, to avoid the long seams distorting as I sew. There is a little extra wastage, but it gives you a more accurate finish :)
To download and print this weeks free pattern, just visit HERE.
Happy sewing :)

No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊