Suzanne Mini Quilt + Your Free January 2017 Calendar

I hope everyone had an amazing Christmas and is relaxing and enjoying a few days break. Our Christmas was fun filled, family packed and went way too fast but it was a wonderful day full of food, love, laughter and memories. My inner child really comes out at this time of year; I just love Christmas and I get more excited than the kids :)
It is time though, to release my first mini quilt for 2017 and your free January calendar. So if your a little girl at heart like me, I think you are going to love this one. Let me introduce Suzanne:
The "Sunbonnet Sue" block is an iconic applique quilt block that has been popular for years, especially for little girl quilts. Its probably one of the most recognised quilt blocks, even to a non quilter. Needle turn applique is just not my thing, so my Suzanne pattern has a paper pieced centre block and its finished with some quick and easy pieced borders. The paper pieced block has predominately larger pieces, with the exception of the pocket and it goes together very easily.
She does still feature the traditional demure bonnet with the flowing ribbon and the long conservative dress complete with a simple pocketed apron; you just can't change the classics right?
I used a few Bonnie and Camille fabrics for this quilt and I teamed them with the gorgeous navy fabric from my stash, which I think makes Suzanne look dressed to impress.
I think my favorite design element is her gorgeous bonnet and ribbon, which obscures her face and gives her that air of mystery. As a girl I would have be happy to wear a bright red bonnet just like Suzanne's :)
Sunbonnet Sue has had a variety of hobbies over the years but I chose to give Suzanne a simple apron with a generous pocket. I can imagine her wandering the countryside, filling her pockets with wildflowers, feathers and other trinkets to take home for her growing collection.
I quilted my Suzanne quilt with some lovely free motion flowers which not only gives it a gorgeous texture but also a more feminine feel.
The mini quilt is framed with a sweet and simple pinwheel and flying geese border. I have used this border before on another design and I chose it again because its delicate and pretty and I think it frames the Suzanne block perfectly. I finished it all off with a navy binding, which seems to be my favorite colour to bind with at the moment because its crisp and fresh.
I've included both a right and left facing version of the Suzanne block in the pattern, for those who would like to make multiple blocks for a full sized quilt. You can alternate the direction of the blocks to add a little more interest to the overall effect of the quilt.
The PDF pattern also includes full instructions and diagrams and full sized FPP design sheets. There's also a colouring sheet to help your plan your colour/fabric selections prior to sewing your mini quilt and additional instructions to add a hanging sleeve or hanging corners.
If you would like to make Suzanne for yourself or for that special little girl in your life, from today until the end of January 2017, PDF patterns are available at the introductory price of $4.95 (AU) in my Big Cartel shop HERE.
Or if you prefer an instant download, PDF patterns are also available in my Etsy shop HERE.
Plus I have your free January 2017 calendar featuring the gorgeous Suzanne:
To download and print your free calendar, just visit HERE.
I hope you love my Suzanne mini quilt as much as I do. She is very sweet and I'm sure I'll be making a few more of these for my nieces and great niece :)
I would also like to take this opportunity to wish you all a Happy New Year. 2016 has been a wonderful year for me and your support has been amazing! You encourage me everyday to design the things I love, to share the recipes I enjoy and through your comments and emails, I have been blessed with lovely friendships that I treasure. May 2017 be an amazing year for you and your family, full of good health, love, laughter, friendship and lots of sewing time :)
Happy New Year :)

3 comments

  1. I love this pattern and want to order. So if it is AU$4.95, what would this be in USA.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful pattern! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes for your 2017.
    I see that you have started with a lot of energy and you are doing beautiful things early.
    Thanks for the calendar. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊