I know I've mentioned this before, but when cooking with chocolate, look for the best chocolate your budget allows and don't forget to check out the health food stores, they have a wonderful range of dark chocolates, which are perfect for baking and eating :) And because you are not using a lot in this recipe (80g) you can splurge a little and save the remainder for future cooking.
- As soon as the cake is out of the oven, remove it from the tin and lie it face down on a fresh sheet of baking paper which has been sprinkled with caster sugar. Remove the baking paper from the bottom of the cake.
- Trim all four edges and score along one long side, about 2.5cm (1") from the edge, being careful not to slice through the cake.
- With the scored side nearest to you and using the baking paper to help, roll the cake two or three times as tightly as you can.
- Leave the cake rolled in the baking paper and when almost cool, unwrap and unroll the cake carefully before spreading on your filling.
- Re roll the cake once your happy with the filling, using the baking paper to help support the cake as you roll, before lifting it from the paper and placing your roulade on a serving dish.
I fill mine with raspberry jam and whipped cream but you could also fill it with fresh berries or a chocolate ganache, chocolate mousse or a lovely hazelnut cream depending on how decadent you like your roulade. This classic combination has always been a favorite with my kids so I tend to stick with it but I have made it once with some hazelnut cream and it was delicious.
To decorate, I like to pipe some whipped cream along the top of the roulade and sprinkle it with some chocolate shavings or fresh raspberries (if I have them on hand). However you choose to decorate your roulade, it will look stunning in the centre of your table and your guests will enjoy every delicious mouthful :)
Its a great little recipe to have in your files and you only need a few basic ingredients, most of which you may have on hand in the pantry and the fridge.
If you would like to try my Chocolate Roulade recipe, you can download the file HERE or right click on the picture below and save to your computer for later.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Chocolate Roulade as much as we do. Its a great way to enjoy chocolate and it's something a little different to serve for Easter or any special occasion really. Enjoy!
Happy baking :)