Chocolate Roulade

It's that wonderful time of year, when the stores are filled with Easter Eggs in every shape, size and flavour.  My favorite is the Humpty Dumpty egg, and not because of the chocolate egg but the yummy smarties inside - I love them. I'm not a huge chocolate eater but I do love to cook with it, and today I have a delicious Chocolate Roulade recipe to share with you.


Trust me this is as yummy as it looks.  The sponge is light and airy and speckled with a generous amount of grated dark chocolate. Its filled with raspberry jam and whipped cream, and then rolled and decorated. Its seriously divine and very quick and easy to make.
I know I've mentioned this before but when cooking with chocolate look for the best chocolate your budget allows, and don't forget to check out the health food stores they have a wonderful range of dark chocolates perfect for baking and eating :) And because you are not using a lot in this recipe (80g) you can splurge a little and save the remainder for future cooking.


This roulade is rolled along the long side of the cake and because I like a lot of filling it can be hard to roll perfectly. I never endeavour for perfection when rolling as long as it looks and tastes amazing I'm good! Here are a few tips to help you roll your roulade and prevent the cake from splitting or cracking:
  • As soon as the cake is out of the oven, remove it from the tin and lie it face down on a fresh sheet of baking paper which has been sprinkled with caster sugar. Remove the baking paper from the bottom of the cake.
  • Trim all four edges and score along one long side, about 2.5cm (1") from the edge, being careful not to slice through the cake.
  • With the scored side nearest to you and using the baking paper to help, roll the cake two or three times as tightly as you can.
  • Leave the cake rolled in the baking paper and when almost cool, unwrap and unroll the cake carefully before spreading on your filling. 
  • Re roll the cake once your happy with the filling, using the baking paper to help support the cake as you roll, before lifting it from the paper and placing your roulade on a serving dish.

I fill mine with raspberry jam and whipped cream but you could also fill it with fresh berries or a chocolate ganache, chocolate mousse or a lovely hazelnut cream depending on how decadent you like your roulade. This classic combination has always been a favorite with my kids so I tend to stick with it but I have made it once with some hazelnut cream and it was delicious.


To decorate I like to pipe some whipped cream along the top of the roulade and sprinkle it with some chocolate shavings or fresh raspberries (if I have them on hand). However you choose to decorate your roulade it will look stunning in the centre of your table, and your guests will enjoy every delicious mouthful :)
Its a great little recipe to have in your files, and you only need a few basic ingredients most of which you may have on hand in the pantry and the fridge. 
If you would like to try my Chocolate Roulade recipe, you can download the PDF file by clicking the link or right click on the photo below and save to your computer for later.



I hope you enjoy this delicious Chocolate Roulade as much as we do. Its a great way to enjoy chocolate and it's something a little different to serve for Easter or any special occasion really. Enjoy!


Happy baking :)

1 comment

  1. Yummmmooooo! I don't suppose you want to adopt a 55yo, you could tell everyone I was a long lost older sister. Thanks for this recipe and the other one too. Guida

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊