Mocha Muffins with Walnut Crumble

It's no secret I'm a coffee addict so its shouldn't surprise you to know that I also love to add coffee to my baking. Morning or afternoon teas are a major coffee hit for me when I make a batch of these delicious Mocha Muffins with Walnut Crumble:


These muffins are seriously good people, I mean whats not to love? Coffee, chocolate and walnuts are a match made in heaven right? :) and for this coffee lover they satisfy my insane caffeine cravings. The muffins are super soft and light and very quick to make. I'm a little heavy handed with the coffee so adjust the strength of yours to suit. I make a relatively strong brew (2-3 heaped teaspoons to 3/4 cup boiling water) but less coffee still gives the muffins a lovely hint of flavour, so play around with the strength of yours.


The walnut crumble adds that little something special. I make my crumble base in the processor (plain flour, butter and demerara sugar) sprinkle it on top of the muffin batter and then I add the roughly chopped walnuts so they retain their texture. You could put the walnuts in the processor with the crumble ingredients for a finer crumble but I like to see my walnuts and crunch on them while I eat the muffin.


I bake my Mocha Muffins in the cafe style muffin wrappers as they make a larger muffin and they look more coffee shop professional. Using my recipe you will yield nine muffins in the large wrappers or 12-15 in the normal patty pan liners. Don't worry if you can't source the cafe style muffin wrappers, they are super easy to make yourself if you have a roll of baking paper.

Making your own Cafe Style Muffin Wrappers: Cut squares of baking paper about 6" square. Centre each square over the base of a glass about the same size as your muffin tin hole and mould and shape around the glass to make your wrapper. Quick and easy and no origami skills required :)


I think the secret ingredient to a good muffin is cream. The cream makes them moist and fluffy and it adds a richness to the muffin. They are best if eaten on the day they are baked as they do tend to dry out a bit after that; another reason I like to make them bigger and less of them.
They are also filled with dark chocolate chips which is a nice surprise and adds another level of flavour. I use chocolate chips but roughly cut or grated dark chocolate works just as well. They also have a lovely hint of cinnamon which is always welcome.


If your not a coffee lover then these muffins are not for you and seriously, we can no longer be friends I'm afraid..... just kidding ;) I'm the only coffee lover in our house, so when I make a batch of these, they are all mine which is rare because usually I bake and everyone else enjoys the fruits of my labour :)
If you would like to make your own Mocha Muffins with Walnut Crumble you can download my recipe by clicking the link or right click on the photo below and save to your computer for later.



I hope you like this muffin recipe. Have a play around with the strength of your coffee and make sure its to your own tastes. I'm on a constant roller coaster of trying to give up coffee and I can be successful for weeks but then I succumb. Life is too short to go without what makes you happy and a batch of these bring a smile to my face every time :)

Happy baking :)

2 comments

  1. Thank you Rose, I too love coffee so this recipe sounds perfect. Take care. Guida

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou Rose,the muffins sound delicious, can't wait to bake them :-)
    Kindest regards Sue

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊