{Free Crochet Pattern} Gingerbread Coasters

I mentioned a few posts back that I was playing around with my own crochet pattern. I have no intention of entering the wonderful world of crochet design, but I had an idea and I really wanted to see if I could make it work. Today I'm sharing it with you as a free pattern, so here's my crocheted Gingerbread Coasters:
These coasters are a fun stocking stuffer idea and they would look lovely in anyone's home over the Christmas season. They are quick and easy to make and I have written the pattern in the way I like to follow a pattern. It is my first crochet pattern so please be patient with me. I have used US terms in the step by step instructions but I have also included a shorthand UK and US version at the end on this post.
If you're running short of gift making time and you would like to purchase a set of Gingerbread Coasters, I've also listed one set of four coasters in my Handmade Etsy shop HERE.
OK, so on to the pattern:

You will need:

Patons Cotton 8ply yarn in pink, brown and white
Scraps of black yarn for embrodiery
Ribbon
3.75mm Crochet Hook
Embroidery needle

Stitch Abbreviations:

  • st(s)- stitch(es)
  • sp- space
  • ch- chain
  • hd- half double crochet
  • dc- double crochet
  • sl st- slip stitch

Lets Crochet:

Round 1: With your pink yarn, make a magic ring and ch 1, 10 sc in the ring, sl st to first sc. Tie off, pull ring tight and weave in ends. (10)
Round 2: Attach your brown yarn in any st, ch 3, 1 dc in same st, 2 dc in each st around, sl st to top of initial ch 3. (20) 

Round 3: Ch 3, 1 dc in same st, 1 dc, *2 dc in next st, 1 dc, repeat from * around, sl st to top of initial ch 3. (30)
Round 4:  Ch 3, 1 dc in same st, *1 dc in the next 2 sts, 2 dc in next st, repeat from * around, sl st to top of initial ch 3. (40)
Round 5: *ch 3 miss 1 st, sc in next st, repeat from * around, sl st to first ch. (20 spaces)
Round 6: Sl st into first ch space, ch 2, 2 hd in first ch space, 3 hd in each ch space around, sl st to top of the initial ch 2. Tie off yarn and weave in ends. (60)
Round 7: Attach your white yarn in any space between the hd sets, *ch 4, sl st in space between hd sets, repeat from * around, sl st to first ch. (20 spaces)
Round 8: Sl st to first ch sp, 1 sc, 3 dc, 1 sc in each chain sp around, sl st to first sc. Tie off yarn and weave in ends.
Finishing: To make the eyes, thread your embroidery needle with black yarn and satin stitch two eyes in round 3 about 4 dc's apart, using about 4-5 stitches for each eye. Weave in ends. Thread your embroidery needle with white yarn and satin stitch one small stitch in the top left of each eye, to add a highlight. Weave in ends.
To make the mouth, thread your embroidery needle with black yarn and ensuring the mouth is centred and is stitched on the bottom edge of round 3, backstitch 10 stitches around. Weave in ends.
Cut a length of ribbon (about 5-6") and thread between two spaces on round 5 and tie into a bow, trimming ends if necessary.
And that's it :) Make as many as you'd like and gift them as sets or make a few for the kids bedrooms- they'll protect your furniture from stains and they look so darn cute. ♥
I hope you have fun crocheting these coasters. Use #gingerbreadcoasters on Instagram so I can see what you make.
Here's the shorthand version of instructions in both US and UK terms:

US Terms- Shorthand

Round 1: (pink) Magic ring, ch 1, 10 sc (10)
Round 2: (brown) ch 3, 1 dc in same st, 2 dc in each st around (20)
Round 3: ch 3, 1 dc in same st, (1 dc, 2 dc in next stitch) around (30)
Round 4: ch 3, 1 dc in same st, (2 dc, 2 dc in next stitch) around (40)
Round 5: (ch 3, miss 1 st, 1 sc) around. (20 spaces)
Round 6: sl st to first ch sp, 2 ch, 2 hdc, (3 hdc in each ch sp) around. (60)
Round 7: (white) ch 4, sl st between hdc sets, all around. (20 spaces)
Round 8: sl st to first ch sp, (1 sc, 3 dc, 1 sc) in each ch sp around.

UK Terms- Shorthand

Round 1: (pink) Magic ring, ch 1, 10 dc (10)
Round 2: (brown) ch 3, 1 tr in same st, 2 tr in each st around (20)
Round 3: ch 3, 1 tr in same st, (1 tr, 2 tr in next stitch) around (30)
Round 4: ch 3, 1 tr in same st, (2 tr, 2 tr in next stitch) around (40)
Round 5: (ch 3, miss 1 st, 1 sc) around. (20 spaces)
Round 6: sl st to first ch sp, 2 ch, 2 htr, (3 htr in each ch sp) around. (60)
Round 7: (white) ch 4, sl st between htr sets, all around. (20 spaces)
Round 8: sl st to first ch sp, (1 dc, 3 tr, 1 dc) in each ch sp around.

Happy crocheting :)

5 comments

  1. Adorable ... Thank you for sharing. You are braver than I and I'm sure they will be perfect. So cute ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks great I will try it. Fun gift for someone.

      Delete
  2. These are too cute! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute coasters. Thank you for sharing your pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your patterns! I also made pumpkin pie coasters from the gingerbread pattern, and just love the granny square eggs😊

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊