Vegetarian Rolls

One of my favorite things to do in the kitchen is recreate or copycat food that we have eaten in restaurants, cafes or bakeries. Yes I am that person who photographs her plate when it arrives and its quite possible I'm not paying attention to the conversation because I'm identifying flavors and textures as they dance over my taste buds. I have one of these copycat recipes to share with you today, some delicious Vegetarian Rolls:
I've been playing around with this recipe for Maddi and Michael. They are learning to cook as a team and they needed more ideas to fill their lunchboxes or for that quick weekend meal. Maddi is vegetarian and they both eat as healthily as they can, but I thought these Vegetarian Rolls might be a nice treat for them to have from time to time.
They do a lot of their cooking on the weekends so they can make a big batch of these and pop them in the freezer ready to pack in the lunchbox. They are flavorsome little morsels packed with vegetables and spiced with cumin and turmeric. The spice is very delicate and they are loaded with sweet potato which adds a beautiful sweetness to every mouthful.
How yummy does that filling look? Beautiful colours and beautiful ingredients. To compliment the sweet potato and spices, there's also baby spinach, chickpeas, red onion and feta :) Yummm!
The filling takes a little time to prepare but using frozen pastry sheets counteracts that and you can whip up a batch or two quite easily.
I just want to mention the chickpeas. I use the canned ones and I do drain and wash them prior to putting them in the food processor with a little water and blitzing. You could drain and reserve the liquid to use instead, but washing them cuts the salt content and its better to add your own salt to taste.
I use three sheets of pastry and cut each sheet in half before spooning the filling down the middle of each one. You could pipe it if you want but I find it easier this way. Once they are rolled, I cut them into four small rolls but for a light summer lunch, cut them in half and serve them with a salad.
I'm very particular about my pastry and so is Cohen. No dark, crunchy pastry for us, we prefer it just cooked; a slightly under cooked bit here and there is a bonus, we're weird I know. I give mine a light coating of milk (you can use egg wash if you prefer) and then a sprinkling of sesame seeds for that extra texture.
The filling is already cooked so its just at matter of cooking the pastry and I find 20 minutes is enough for me but it depends on how golden (or cooked) you like your pastry to be.
Pack a batch in the picnic basket or serve them for afternoon tea. They are delicious straight from the oven or cold from the fridge and your guests will love them ♥
If you would like to try my Vegetarian Rolls, you can download the recipe by either clicking on the link or right click on the photo below and save to your computer for later.




I hope you (and Maddi and Michael) enjoy these Vegetarian Rolls. I really enjoyed recreating this one because I got to play with so many beautiful ingredients and you know what? I think I nailed it.
To all my Aussie readers, Happy Australia Day! I'm just putting the finishing touches to our table ready for a family BBQ lunch. I hope you enjoy your celebrations and the long weekend :) Stay safe!
Happy baking :)

1 comment

  1. Happy Australia Day Rose. Have a lovely relaxing day with your family. Kind Regards Sue

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊