Lumen Mini Quilt + Your Free May 2018 Calendar

I'm going to dive straight into today's post because I'm super excited to show you my new monthly mini quilt pattern. You've already seen a few sneak peeks of this quilt in my Paper Piecing Tips and Tricks tutorial but the full reveal is worth its own drumroll. So please welcome the stunning Lumen to my pattern family:


And isn't she luminous? Lumen is my take on the lone star block. Lone Star quilts are gorgeous as they are, but I envisioned that centre star bursting from the quilt, surrounded by a luminescent glow. I think this mini quilt far surpassed how I imagined it to be and I couldn't be happier with this design :)


Lumen is a paper pieced pattern and it's easier to construct than it may look. The trickiest part is the centre. There are sixteen seams meeting at that centre point and mine isn't perfect but its perfect enough for me.
There's a lot of bulk at the centre point so make sure you press those seams flat, flat, flat. I started my quilting at this point in the hopes of securing it down so it didn't poof up with all the dense quilting, and its not too bad. Its unavoidable with so many seams meeting up and it was the price I paid for having a star with two tone points.


But if the thought of all those seams has you like "no way Jose" never fear I've got you covered. I've also included templates in the PDF pattern to make each of the star points as one solid section (as shown above right). You can still alternate the colours around the star and there will be less seams for you to join at that centre. I think both versions are stunning so I'll be interested to see which one you choose.


I used the gorgeous Dollhouse fabrics from Amy Sinibaldi and they were the perfect choice for this mini. This fabric collection is stunning and I think Lumen is a great example of how well the colours work together. There's a lovely mix of lights and darks but that fuschia and grey combination is definitely my favorite.


Lumen finishes at around 18" square so she's quite large, mainly because I didn't want you piecing fiddly pieces. The templates are very manageable and you can refer back to my tutorial HERE to help with lining up all the sections to achieve the best results possible.


As always the PDF pattern comes complete with full step by step instructions and diagrams for ease of construction. Also included are optional instructions for adding a hanging sleeve or corner hangers and there's also colouring sheets for both options to help with colour/fabric selection prior to piecing.
I've also included a few ideas for making multiples of this block to construct a full sized quilt and trust me these versions are swoon worthy :)


If you would like to make your own version of my Lumen mini quilt from today until the end of May 2018, PDF patterns are available at the introductory price of $4.95 in my Big Cartel shop HERE.
Or if you prefer an instant download, patterns are also available in my Etsy shop HERE.
And I also have your free May 2018 calendar featuring the gorgeous Lumen:


To download and print your free calendar just visit HERE.
I hope you love Lumen as much as I do. Its one of those quilts that gets you super excited as each new section is added. I'm sure whichever option you choice to sew will be stunning and I'm looking forward to seeing what you make, so don't forget to tag me and I'll be sure to pop over and visit :)


Happy quilting :)

2 comments

  1. Lumen is absolutely lovely. Another beautiful quilt x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anorina. I have only recently found your blog and I'm eager to sit down and read through your posts :) I hope you're enjoying your holiday :)

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊