Leek, Spinach and Feta Tarts

Mother's Day is right around the corner and we prefer to have a quiet lunch at home with the family instead of navigating the hustle and bustle of busy restaurants and cafes. I don't want to be cooking that day so I like to prepare something the day before, and I thought I'd share what I'm making because these tarts are perfect for any family lunch.
So here's what on our lunch menu for Mother's Day, my Leek, Spinach and Feta Tarts:


These little tarts are delicious and you can easily throw together a salad, slice some crusty bread and you'll have a gorgeous lunch on the table in no time. You can serve the tarts either hot or cold but I prefer them hot and they only take 10-15 minutes to reheat. The flavor of the caramelized leeks really intensifies if you make them ahead of time, so cook them the day before to enhance that beautiful sweetness.


I first saw a version of this recipe on an early season of Masterchef, and as with all recipes I have morphed it over time depending on what ingredients I have on hand or what pastry I decide to make. The hero of these tarts is definitely the leek but the sour cream pastry is a close second. I love this pastry and I could cook a slab of it and just eat it on its own ♥ (I don't by the way, but I could).


It's a lot softer than most pastries and a little more delicate to work with and it will shrink, no matter how long the resting time. As we're cooking for our families and not fine dining, just let the pastry do its thing and call it rustic. ;)
I use this sour cream pastry a lot for tarts and pies, and if you haven't tried it before you really should because it just adds something extra to any dish.


I like the leek and spinach combination but you could also add mushrooms or capsicum to give the tarts some extra flavor. I pop a few pieces of feta into the filling before baking but you could also compliment the leeks with some goats cheese, parmesan or gruyere.
Again its one of those recipes you can adapt to suit the ingredients you have on hand without having to make a special visit to the supermarket.


I think these tarts will be perfect for our Mother's Day lunch. Neither mum nor I want to be fussing over the cooking on "our day" so if the hard work is already done, the kids can throw the rest together with little fuss, and I can spend uninterrupted time with mum.
If you would like to try my Leek, Spinach and Feta Tarts you can download the recipe by either clicking the link or right click on the photo below and save it to your computer for later.





Its a great recipe to have in the files and you don't need a special occasion to make them but if you're like us and dining at home this Mother's Day, they might be a nice option for your lunch table.
I've also got a lovely little cupcake recipe to share with you sometime next week and they could be the most perfect way to finish off your Mother's Day lunch, so stay tuned for that one :)


Happy baking :)

2 comments

  1. These look so good, Love leeks. Going to have to find my small tart pans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy them Heide. I love leeks too and use them in or on everything :) Its a great little recipe to to play around with :)

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊