Hestia- PDF Pattern

I'm super excited to finally share my latest quilt pattern with you. I'm so in love with this gorgeous quilt, so please welcome the delectable Hestia to my pattern family:


Hestia was the Greek goddess of hearth (fireside), architecture, and the right ordering of domesticity, the family, the home and the state. The hearth was the centre of society, providing warmth, food preparation and the completion of sacrificial offerings to the gods.
Hestia was best know for her virtues. She was calm, secure, stable, welcoming, gentle, forgiving, serene and centred. She looked after the family with kindness, warmth and generosity; just like a big quilty hug.


I have to tell you a quick little story about these photos. I asked my parents to help me with Hestia's photo shoot because my usual assistants were all working. They are both in their 70's and my mum is barely five feet tall, so we had a very interesting afternoon trying to take photos of a straight quilt :) I was more concerned for their personal safety than the lighting etc. and apparently as you get older "down just a little bit" means moving the quilt a whole lot more than it used to ;)
I looked at all the photo's when I got home and they weren't the greatest (focus and lighting wise) but I just had to use them anyway; we made memories that day, fun memories and to me, that's far more important ♥


Anyway, back to the quilt. I have a tonne of Amy Sinabaldi fabrics and I wanted to design a scrappy style quilt to put them in..... so Hestia was born. I used fabrics from each of her ranges and I hardly made a dent in my stash, oh dear! All of her ranges work well together and I could (and should) have made it scrappier but that's OK.
The Hestia block is traditionally pieced but the star points are paper pieced. From one fat quarter I could comfortably paper piece the star points for two blocks and the rest was pieced from my collection of my partly used fat quarters.


The blocks are super fun to sew and they finish at 15" square with the quilt finishing at around 69" square. I set the blocks on point and added white sashings and burgundy cornerstones, so they float delicately in the design.
I quilted my Hestia with a serpentine stitch at 1/2" intervals. I didn't want the quilting to be too dense because this quilt will be used a lot and I think next time I'd space them at 3/4" intervals. Either way, I love the effect of the serpentine stitch and I would use it again for a big quilt.


I used a lovely light grey fabric for the backing and its works really well with the burgundy binding. I've had this fabric in my stash for ages and now it finally has its chance to shine.
I had such a fun time sewing Hestia and I'm thrilled with the final quilt. I may not have used as many fabrics as I had originally planned but its full of my favorite prints and colours.


The PDF pattern comes complete with full written instructions and step by step diagrams, plus full sized FPP templates to make construction nice and easy. I've also included a colouring sheet to help you plan your colours/fabrics prior to sewing and this will be useful to achieve a more scrappier look.
If you would like to make your own version of Hestia, PDF patterns are now available for $8.95 (AU) in my Big Cartel shop HERE.
Or if you prefer an instant download, they are also available in my Etsy shop HERE.


I hope you have fun sewing your own Hestia quilt. I can't wait to see the fabric combinations you use and I hope your quilt brings your family comfort, warmth and security; just like the goddess Hestia :)
Happy quilting :)

2 comments

  1. A beautiful quilt and thank you for giving the background information of Hestia. Enjoyed reading your quilt and once I get the Belle quilt made, I might have to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa. It is a pretty quilt and i enjoyed every step of the process. Oooo cant wait to see your version of Belle 😊 have fun 😚

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊