Mum's Chocolate Fudge Cake

I have one of my mum's old recipes for you today. Mum didn't bake a lot when we were kids but whenever she was in the mood to cook and she asked for requests, it was always the same answer.......Mum's Chocolate Fudge Cake:


Now this cake is not as fudgie as a brownie but its soft, moist and utterly delicious. Some chocolate cake recipes are dry or sickly sweet but this recipe ticks all the right boxes.
I've made this cake for all sorts of occasions; parties, coffee with friends, picnics, school fairs and family movie nights, and its quick, easy and a real crowd pleaser.


You can use this as your "go to" chocolate cake recipe and dress it up or down to suit the occasion. I make a basic icing mix for the top but its also delicious with a ganache or buttercream topping. Make two cakes and sandwich them together with jam and cream for a formal occasion or cook the batter in a oblong pan and cut it into squares or fingers as a treat for the lunchboxes.


The cake is light and airy and not overly sweet, and I like to add a teaspoon of coffee to the batter to really enhance that gorgeous chocolate flavour. I usually top it with sprinkles for the kids (OK, the sprinkles are for me) but a light sprinkling of coconut is perfect as well. You could also use chopped nuts, grated chocolate, raspberries or sliced strawberries and serve it up with a quenelle of whipped cream.


It stores well for three or four days in an air tight container and its nice to have with with a cup of tea or coffee. It actually pairs really well with my new favorite tea, Mango Green Tea (pictured left). Have you tried this flavored tea? Its very refreshing and the smell is intoxicating.
If you would like to try Mum's Chocolate Fudge Cake you can download the recipe by clicking the link or right click on the photo below and save it to your computer for later.





I hope you love mum's recipe. It was a favorite in my childhood home, in our own home and now our daughters home. And how could it not be, its chocolate cake ;)


Happy baking :)

5 comments

  1. Is your cake tin 20 cm across, or 23 cm across? How deep?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Betsy its the standard 8" (20cm) and its about 4 1/2cm deep. It also works well in a square pan or an oblong one if you want to cut it into squares or fingers😊

      Delete
  2. would a 9" round cake pan work

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you omit the coffee cuz I don't drink the stuff and use hot chocolate powder forgot to put with first message

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes just omit the coffee if you like, no need to add anything else as a substitute. You could just a 9" pan or a rectangular pan. Your cake will wont be as high of course. :)

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊