{Free Pattern} Salem Mini Quilt

Maddi was a huge fan of Sabrina the Teenage Witch and I became one by association. How could I not? She played those DVD's over and over and over. We're both really excited for the new Sabrina series coming to Netflix (Oct 26) but it looks much darker (and scarier) than the original series.
As I was designing this new free Halloween mini quilt, I knew I had to call it Salem:



Salem Saberhagen was definitely my favorite character on Sabrina. He was witty and the master of the great one liners, and despite his greed, mischief and egocentricity everyone loved him.
My Salem mini quilt is a free pattern for you to sew up for Halloween. Its a paper pieced pattern and lots of fun to sew. Its a tiny one finishing at around 8" x 12" so it sews up nice and quickly, just in time for Halloween.


The idea for this mini came from our cat. She sits on my sewing table as I sew and turns her back to me to look out the window, so this view is pretty much all I see of her...all day! I added the moon and night sky to give it that Halloween feel but that's pretty much what she looks like.
Its sweet and simple and its not spooky, so it wont scare the little ones. Halloween decorations are popping up in our stores now and some of them are terrifying; I wouldn't sleep knowing they were hanging in my house ;)



The Salem mini quilt goes together easily but the tail is a little fiddly. The pieces are a lot smaller but if you read through my Paper Piecing Tips and Tricks post, and try some of my suggestions you should be fine. Don't forget I'm just an email away if you need some help, and I'm happy to walk you through any concerns you may have.
I chose three fabrics from my stash and with this palette I can use my Salem quilt all year round. You could make it more Halloween-ish by adding some bright orange for the sky instead of the grey.


Of course you don't have to make Salem into a mini quilt. You could use the pattern as the focal block of a tablecloth, cushion, treat bag or for a larger quilt. Play around, have fun and make it your own.
The PDF pattern comes complete with full step by step instructions and diagrams plus full sized FPP templates, and a colouring sheet to assist in fabric/colour selection. I've also included optional instructions for adding a hanging sleeve or corner hangers and a few suggestions for using the pattern in other ways.


If you would like to make your own Salem Mini Quilt, then you can download and print your free pattern HERE.
I hope you have fun with this little mini and that it becomes a favorite part of your Halloween decorating. Don't forget to email me pictures or tag me on social media so I can see how you use this pattern, I love to see your interpretations.


Happy sewing :)

8 comments

  1. Rose, that's so adorable! As a cat lover, I have to make this one sometime soon. Thanks so much for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Susan.I knew the cat lovers would love Salem. Have fun with the pattern :)

      Delete
  2. I love this! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for such a cute pattern. I may make the cat in orange in memory of my cat, Patches, that crossed the rainbow bridge a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Susan I'm so sorry to hear about Patches :( They are our constant companions. The quilt will make a lovely tribute :)

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊