Fruit Mince Frangipane

Yesterday I shared my recipe for Fruit Mince and it really was the recipe that got me obsessed about this festive filling. As I mentioned, I add it to cookies, muffins and little pies but my all time favorite way to use this mince is in my Fruit Mince Frangipane:


According to a Middle Ages custom, if you eat fruit mince from Christmas Day until the Twelfth Night (Jan 6) your new year will be filled with happiness :) I'm not sure how true this is but hey, I'm up for the challenge if it means nibbling on a slice of this frangipane every day (and btw...I started a little bit early just to be extra sure!).


When you put the knife through this frangipane, the first thing you hear is that Fruit Mince squelch. The fruit is so plump and moist, and combined with the gorgeous almond flavors and the shortcrust pastry, this pie/tart is simply amazing!
You can serve it straight from the oven with some ice cream or cream, or serve it cooled as an afternoon treat with a generous sprinkling of icing sugar.


The pastry case is made from scratch but if you're short on time you can purchase a ready made pie case from the supermarket.
My pastry recipe is easy to make but I thought I'd re share my tips to help you achieve the perfect pastry, every time.

  • Clean- your utensils, work surfaces etc. must be spotlessly clean. I use a food processor because its quick and it avoids over handling the pastry.
  • Cold- your butter must be cold, your hands must be cold and your work surface must be cold. I'm fortunate enough to have granite bench tops but investing in a marble chopping board is a great alternative for rolling pastry.
  • Less is more- work quickly, don't over work your pastry and only use a light dusting of flour when rolling. Roll pastry between sheets of baking paper and before rolling, shape your pastry the way you want it rolled- for a round tin, shape your pastry into a ball, for a rectangular tin, shape your pastry into a rectangle etc. and then roll to spread it to the desired size.
  • Rest- once your pastry is made, wrap it in cling wrap and rest it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Quickly roll the pastry and pop it into your tin, cover it loosely with cling wrap and rest again in the fridge for 30 minutes to prevent shrinkage. I usually leave my pastry "proud" and trim it level with the tin, just before blind baking (I'm not sure you're meant to do this but it works for me).
  • Heat- always preheat your oven before blind baking and to avoid a soggy bottom, place a cookie sheet in the oven while its heating and place your tart tin directly on top to bake.


The pastry is very short so don't over work it and don't be too fussy if it shrinks or cracks a bit - rustic home cooking is the best. I make this frangipane in a pie tin with a removable base, but you could also divide the mixture into smaller tarts tins and serve them individually.
I use about 2 cups of fruit mince on the base of the pie - I like to be generous but you can adjust the quantity to suit your tastes. The frangipane filling is light and delicious, and I scatter a handful of slivered almonds on top to give it a little crunch and to enhance that gorgeous almond flavor.


It really is a beautiful way to use my Fruit Mince recipe and its a great alternative to the traditional Fruit Mince Pies. If you would like to try my Fruit Mince Frangipane then you can download the recipe by clicking the link or right click on the photo below and save it to your computer for later.






I hope you enjoy this recipe. I think my homemade Fruit Mince is what makes this frangipane so special. It elevates it to a whole new level and it will have your guests begging for another slice.


Happy baking :)

No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊