Bookshelf- April 2019

Hey book buddies! Are you a Kindle reader or do you like to snuggle up with a real book? I've tried Kindle but I prefer the smell and feel of a book in my hands. I also love roaming the aisles of book shops (new and second hand) and I could spend hours in the peaceful environment of the local library.
Sadly a lot of our book shops have closed so I have to hunt online for titles I want to read but there's a real thrill when a book arrives in the mail - almost as exciting as a fabric delivery ;)
This month the postman delivered some wonderful books, so here's what I read during April.


The Upside- Abdul Sellou

I really enjoyed this memoir! Its the story of an tetraplegic and his carer, a convicted petty felon, and how a deep friendship emerges changing both of their lives forever. The book moves very quickly through the years and I felt there was a lot of Abdul's story left unsaid - I wanted more anyway!
Abdul is a private man and only talked openly about his life when he was in his 40's. His energy is infectious and he tells his story with humor and honesty but very little emotion. He's such a humble, fearless man who looks life right in the face and says...here I come!
The bond between Abdul and Phillipe will warm your heart and make you smile. This story will stay with you forever :)


Boy Erased- Garrad Conley

Where do I start with this book? I do admire Garrad's strength in opening up and writing this book with brutal honesty. It does drag on a bit (especially the middle) but I had all the feels while reading it - horror, sadness, disbelief, joy and hope. It was a difficult book to read for a number of reasons, and I kept questioning why this mother was so clueless to her sons struggles.
Society has come so far and is way more accepting and supportive of loving who you love, and that's a wonderful thing. Its hard to imagine people suffering such brutal condemnation for simply pursuing who they were meant to be.


Five Feet Apart - Rachael Lippincott

Three words describe this book - heartwarming, unforgettable and touching! Its a YA novel (and also a movie) exploring the relationship between two cystic fibrosis patients who for health reasons, must remain six feet apart at all times. CF has taken from them what we take for granted, and by "taking back" just one foot it gives them a sense of empowerment.
Their world in a never ending cycle of doctors, hospitals, medication, setbacks, wins etc. - all of it  keeping them alive but costing them more than we could ever imagine.
"If I'm going to die, I'd like to actually live first."
Make sure you have a box of tissues handy. ;)


The Gift Of Life - Josephine Moon

This book explores memory transference in organ transplant recipients, and it makes you think about how life experiences imprint our hearts. Its a bit of a mystery/thriller highlighting the spiritual connection between the transplant patient and the donor. Its an interesting connection to explore but I felt parts of it were over exaggerated and a little unbelievable.
That being said, I enjoyed the story and how the friendship developed between the transplant patient and the donors widow, as they unlocked the secrets the husband left behind.  Sadly the most interesting part of the plot wasn't explored very well and it left me wanting more. An OK book and an easy read with some endearing characters.


The Lost Girls of Paris - Pam Jenoff

This was my favorite book of the month. The story is a fictional account of true events and it takes you into the world of British female spies sent to France by a top secret government agency during WWII. Pam writes an engrossing storyline with characters you will never forget. The pace and flow of this novel is perfect and every chapter has you holding your breath. If you enjoy historical fiction then you will love this book, and the fact that its based on true events makes it even more powerful and unforgettable.
I picked this book up on several visits to the bookshop but I wasn't sure I'd like it. I finally purchased it because I was obviously drawn to it and I'm so glad I did, it was perfection!

So that's what I read last month. I've got some great books waiting for me to read during May, one of them took me forever to find so it better be good ;)
I'd love to know what you read as well so leave me a comment and give me some more titles to hunt down, or follow me on Goodreads and we can become book buddies (search for Rose Johnston).
Happy reading :)

2 comments

  1. Thanks for the great suggestions. I am like you and prefer to read actual books rather than using my kindle. We're heading on holiday so i've been busy adding books to my phone through my library borrowbox app. I have 6 books borrowed which should keep me (more than) entertained for the 14 hr flight ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow a borrowbox app sounds great! I wonder if our library has that available. Its really hard to find some books now that Kindle offers pretty much everything and shops are closing. Ill check into it, thanks for the heads up! Enjoy your trip Anorina!

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊