Harlequin Mini Quilt PDF Pattern

Hey lovelies! Pinch, punch its the start of a new month, and its also the start a new financial year for us! Yay, its tax time - said no one ever! Thankfully they make it easier and easier each year but it makes me anxious, I'm always glad when tax time is over!
Its also time for my new monthly mini quilt and this month I have a quilt that I hope will make you smile. Please welcome the bright and cheerful Harlequin to my pattern family:


I named this mini quilt Harlequin because of a geeky little secret of mine - my favorite DC character is Harley Quinn (a play on the name Harlequin), specifically the Suicide Squad version. Margot Robbie depicted her as an endearing villain with a whole lot of craziness thrown in, and a little bit of hopeless romantic for good measure.
Margot rocked her blonde hair dip dyed blue on one side and pink on the other, and the unforgettable ripped white tee and tiny blue and red shorts. She's such a fun character to watch and I love her one liners - "So what if I'm crazy? The best people are."



There's a little bit of crazy is all of us creatives, don't you think? We literally chop up gorgeous pieces of fabric and then sew them back together for fun - crazy right? ;)
Harlequin is a stunning paper pieced mini quilt, and the bright fabrics and ornate design make her a real show stopper - just like Margot actually!
I've patterned this as a 16" square mini quilt to give you a chance to use some large floral fabrics or some of your more intricate prints. The templates have large sections so piecing is quick and easy and you can throw in as many colours/fabrics as you like to make this quilt pack a punch on your mini wall.


I love the two toned star points of this design, they're reminiscent of the collar of a Victorian Harlequin's costume and they add a little playfulness to the design.  I trialled a few different blocks for the star centre and finally decided on the Texas Tears block. I think it looks stunning surrounded by all of those gorgeous star points and its something a little bit different and lots of fun.


I used Arbor Blossom fabrics from Nadra Ridgeway for my Harlequin mini and these fabrics brighten up the darkest of days - it was wet and gloomy when I was sewing this quilt and these fabrics sure made me happy!
You can make your mini quilt as bright and colourful or as soft and sweet as you like, and I've included a colouring sheet to assist in choosing your fabrics/colours prior to sewing. The templates are shaded with the colours I used and this will help you with fabric placement when you start to sew.


Harlequin goes together very quickly and easily so its suitable as a weekend project or take your supplies along to your next retreat and sew your mini quilt while you're hanging out with the girls. There's nothing tricky to this design and I've included step by step instructions and diagrams to make piecing your quilt painless and fun!
I've also included additional instructions for adding a hanging sleeve or corner hangers so you can add your completed quilt to your mini wall.


This design would also make a stunning cushion and would be perfect in a kids bedroom - kids love colour and it would be a fun design to throw on their bed or to brighten their favorite reading corner. You could also make multiples of this block and sew a full sized quilt (the HST corners will add a lovely secondary element to the design).
If you would like to sew your own version of my Harlequin mini quilt, from today until the end of July 2019 PDF patterns are available in my Etsy shop at the introductory price of $4.95 (AU). Simply click on the link below to purchase your copy:


I hope you love Harlequin as much as I do. I had so much fun designing this mini and paying homage to Margot's version of Harley Quinn.  She's getting her own DC movie in 2020 and from the snippets I've seen, its going to be fun. Yay!
And don't forget to use the hashtag #harlequinminiquilt so we can all see your version or send me a picture, because I'm nosy like that! :) Enjoy :)


Happy quilting :)

No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊