{Classic Quilt Blocks} Sawtooth Star - Add A Twist

Last week I shared my Sawtooth Star tutorial and this week I want to give you a little encouragement and some fun ideas for adding your own twist to this beautiful block.  One of my favorite things to do is to take a Classic Quilt Block and adapt it into something special, and it's easier than you think.

I've also got a free block pattern for you to download and use for future projects, and I think you're going to love this one!



I had a lot of fun playing with the Sawtooth Star block - there are just so many ways to add your own personal touch to create a whole new block. It's one of those blocks which has so many possibilities, and you can give it either a traditional or modern twist.

For a traditional twist I like to stay true to the original shapes of the block but for a modern twist the rule book goes out the window and you can be as creative as you want.


Traditional Twists:

The Sawtooth Star has that gorgeous centre square just screaming for a design twist, and there are so many elements you can add to create something unique and special. Let's see what I came up with:

Simple elements like a four patch or a diamond in a square, change the way the block looks and offers a little extra visual interest. They remain true to the original shapes of the block and they complement but not overpower the star.

These examples are perfect for creating scrappy quilts and they're a good way to add more colour to the block without changing the design too much.

Of course, I couldn't stop there, I had to keep playing:


I'm really loving these three! I'm a sucker for a pinwheel but that heart would have to be my favorite. The Sawtooth Star is still prominent and recognisable in all of these examples, but a simple twist will add more fun to your project. You could also add a log cabin, a rail fence or an hourglass block - be creative!

The corner squares were next on my list:


A few simple tweaks and the blocks get even prettier - if that's possible! Aren't they lovely? I think I prefer the HST corners but all of them will create a secondary pattern when you make multiples and sew them together. This is another great idea for scrappy quilts.

Of course, I had to play with the large background triangles as well:


That was fun! I'm really loving the patchwork background of the first one - I think I need a quilt full of scrappy stars, don't you?  All of them are pretty and I hope they inspire you to try something a little different with your next Sawtooth Star block.

You can even add one to last month's Churn Dash block:


As the months go on, you'll have a collection of Classic Quilt Blocks that you can mix and match together to make your own block.

For my free pattern I decided that two is even sweeter than one, so here's my Double Delight Sawtooth Star:
Isn't that the cutest? The Double Delight Sawtooth Star block finishes at 8" square and you'll be able to use it for lots of future projects. To download and print the free pattern simply click the link below:


Modern Twists:

The Sawtooth Star is still a favorite with modern designers because its such a gorgeous block and its so versatile. A quick Google search will give you all the inspiration you need:


So many beautiful quilts, all with unique layouts and composition, and each a perfect example of why the Sawtooth Star has stood the test of time. Designers will continue to put their own stamp on this block because it's so versatile and easily adapted, and it makes a stunning quilt.

I used the Sawtooth Star as part of my first two block wonder quilt Twinkle. I love this quilt so much! Its simple but its absolutely stunning and very easy to sew. You can purchase a PDF pattern of Twinkle in my Etsy shop by clicking the link below:


Next week I'm going to give you a step by step tutorial for a modern nine patch version of the Sawtooth Star, and with this block there's no chance of losing any of those gorgeous star points. It's super fun to sew and the blocks are actually quite addictive!


Happy quilting :)
email signature

6 comments

  1. thanks for sharing your beatifull block. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Agueda. I hope you have fun sewing one for yourself :)

      Delete
  2. Such an inspirational post! I love all the ideas you've shared. I made a blue Star in a Star quilt a few years ago and it remains one of my favourites too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. I had so much fun playing with the blocks. Star in star quilts are so pretty so I totally get why yours is one of your favorites. :)

      Delete
  3. Love the double delight! Thank you!
    kakingsbury at verizon dot net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen. Its a pretty one. Have fun with it :)

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊